D&D and the rising pandemic

GreyLord

Legend
I grew up in Oamaru. Last I looked they were hitting $400k.

Some interesting conversations on r/new Zealand about rent and house prices. I think Westport was the last "cheap" town left.

That's actually not bad for much of the US (there is the midwest where prices are dirt low, but in much of the US prices seem to go for an average size home between 250K-350K. That's around 268K USD if the conversion on google is right.

If you live more towards where the population of the US lives though, that's cheap as well. House prices in the urban areas of California are going for 1-2 million for an average sized house when I was looking out there, and in Urban cities elsewhere houses are going for 400K-500K USD where I was looking (which appears to be around 600-750K in New Zealand money? according to google conversions).

I suppose it's all about location, location, location.

Hussar

Legend
Heh. You guys have no idea what housing prices are like. I live in a small town in the poorest part of Japan (Kyushu) and a 15 year old 3 bedroom house on a tiny lot runs about 300k USD. In the cities? Good luck.

Zardnaar

Legend
Heh. You guys have no idea what housing prices are like. I live in a small town in the poorest part of Japan (Kyushu) and a 15 year old 3 bedroom house on a tiny lot runs about 300k USD. In the cities? Good luck.

100 year old house in my city. May or may not have insulation. Big section though.

They thought due to Covid prices go down. They're surging instead.

IMG_20200704_101936.jpg

That big house top and middle sold not to long ago. Think it went for $740k ($518k U SD approx).

That red brick ones like that are popular. Not sure how much it would go for but won't be cheap. Unless you're from Auckland. Probably built 60s or 70s.

Last edited:

The other week my family held a family weekend in a house that they had rented, but I politely declined. That many people together in one house, even with social distancing, is a blatant disregard for the rules. I thought my family would be smarter than that.

This week my mother is celebrating her birthday at a cafe with lots of people, and again I politely declined. But now the emotional blackmail starts. "Oh, I would be really disappointed if you didn't show up". She's ignoring the Corona rules, and I'm the bad guy?! It pisses me off. It is like everyone wants everyone else to make the sacrifices, but oh no, not our birthday party.

For crying out loud, it is only one year. Just one year! Just stay inside and don't do social gatherings. How hard can that be?!

Zardnaar

Legend
The other week my family held a family weekend in a house that they had rented, but I politely declined. That many people together in one house, even with social distancing, is a blatant disregard for the rules. I thought my family would be smarter than that.

This week my mother is celebrating her birthday at a cafe with lots of people, and again I politely declined. But now the emotional blackmail starts. "Oh, I would be really disappointed if you didn't show up". She's ignoring the Corona rules, and I'm the bad guy?! It pisses me off. It is like everyone wants everyone else to make the sacrifices, but oh no, not our birthday party.

For crying out loud, it is only one year. Just one year! Just stay inside and don't do social gatherings. How hard can that be?!

What we did in lockdown (wife's family all live in same suburb they grew up in) is we walked around to the houses to "visit" but they stayed on the porch and we stayed at the gate and talked over the fence.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

We’re planning our holiday meals...with social distancing in mind.

Usually, our house is the center for the big gatherings. We’re centrally located, and, at the risk of sounding like a braggart, I’m a damn good cook. Big gatherings, I get to show off. This year’s uninvited guest has changed all that. We’re still planning on me doing some serious cooking, but there will be NO gathering.

Instead, starting tomorrow, I will begin cooking some of the side dishes we’d usually serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and to a lesser extent, New Years, and packaging them up in the freezer in moderately sized bundles.* And some of those frozen sides will be delivered to the houses of our usual invitees.

On the day of the actual holidays, we’ll take some out, thaw, and eat, along with a moderate sized bird or some such.

Hopefully, those that can do so will reciprocate.

* No full menu plan as yet, but tomorrow’s dish is turnip greens. Other likely suspects include maque choux, mirliton, and oyster dressing

Zardnaar

Legend
We’re planning our holiday meals...with social distancing in mind.

Usually, our house is the center for the big gatherings. We’re centrally located, and, at the risk of sounding like a braggart, I’m a damn good cook. Big gatherings, I get to show off. This year’s uninvited guest has changed all that. We’re still planning on me doing some serious cooking, but there will be NO gathering.

Instead, starting tomorrow, I will begin cooking some of the side dishes we’d usually serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and to a lesser extent, New Years, and packaging them up in the freezer in moderately sized bundles.* And some of those frozen sides will be delivered to the houses of our usual invitees.

On the day of the actual holidays, we’ll take some out, thaw, and eat, along with a moderate sized bird or some such.

Hopefully, those that can do so will reciprocate.

* No full menu plan as yet, but tomorrow’s dish is turnip greens. Other likely suspects include maque choux, mirliton, and oyster dressing

I have severe doubts in your ability to cook. Please send samples to prove otherwise to.

Lazy chunky monkey
123 Eat Now Street
Dunedin
NZ

I suggest expedited air freight tyvm (ducks). Chartered private jet can also work.

Remove ads