D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Right now almost everyone doing a good job of this is in Asia, in part because I think they've been through this before with SARS and actually absorbed the lessons of that.

Nations/territories doing a decent job:
Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, Israel, Singapore, Bahrain, Qatar, New Zealand

Surprisingly, if you get past all the initial denial, corruption, and cover up (and granted, it's really hard to get over that), China has done a really good job once they started to take it seriously. It's been authoritarian and brutal, but its been effective and many nations have done much worse.

Hitherto I might give C's to Germany, Denmark, Poland, and Norway. Germany has numbers that look a lot like South Korea. Denmark and Norway had the bad luck to be in the Schengen zone, but seem to be recovering from that. They have proportionately some of the worst outbreaks in the world, so things could get really bad for them for a while but they seem to be containing now which is impressive because the list of countries that appear to be is very small.

Pretty much the rest of Europe gets an F. That March 4th emergency meeting will go down in the history books as one of the worst civic reactions in the history of government. I had to pick myself off the floor when I read the outcome, and the more I thought about it the more I went from dumbstruck to angry. Well, enough of that. Not my country.

If you were holding a civil trial, China, Italy, and Iran would need to pay damages. Between the three of them, the rest of the world is screwed.

I was giving a D to USA up until about 5 days ago when we finally got serious about this. Final grade to be evaluated when the SHTF some time in the next week or two.

Been wondering about that.

China you just cost the world several trillion dollars.

GreyLord

Legend
Big box stores are selling out of toilet paper. Meanwhile, every gas station has plenty on the shelves of their mini marts. Because people seem very focused on big box stores and buying bulk right now.
You can buy toilet paper at the Gas Stations???

I had no idea.

The estimates I've seen regarding the US seem to indicate that the US doesn't hit critical mass with hospital beds in the next two weeks, but the target estimate is the first week of May, give or take a week.

Certain areas may hit critical before that.

I don't know of the estimates regarding the UK, but the cases seem low thus far (or I am missing something) comparatively to other places...at least thus far.

Zardnaar

Legend
Emergency supplies. RPG stuff, novels, toilet paper.

IMG_20200315_220950.jpg

GreyLord

Legend
Looks like FR, Dark Sun novels there, and if I'm not mistaken some Star Wars RPG books? WEG?

I haven't gotten any more RPG play time this week past last Wednesday. It could be a long haul for me.

Zardnaar

Legend
Looks like FR, Dark Sun novels there, and if I'm not mistaken some Star Wars RPG books? WEG?

I haven't gotten any more RPG play time this week past last Wednesday. It could be a long haul for me.
You are good. WEG SW, Dragon, Dungeon and Darksun.

Not exactly panic buying just every time we go to supermarket just get a bit extra.

seebs

Adventurer
U.S. did pretty good with travel bans. U.S. doing a crap job of testing.

US did not do well at all with travel bans, because they're inconsistent, and being handled in a way basically calculated to maximize the spread of the virus in the US. Look at pictures of people stuck in wall-to-wall standing room only for multiple hours at various airports because they announced a ton of new restrictions requiring manual checking, and didn't add enough staff to the federal-only process. So if even one or two of the people coming in did have the virus, now a heck of a lot more of them do, but will have gotten it right there so it won't show up in the superficial checking for symptoms being done on-site.

Sadly, all the people who knew better got laid off a while back because if you have people preventing pandemics, and you're a complete idiot, it's easy to think "well gosh we never have pandemics why do we need these people anyway".

atanakar

Hero
Sadly, all the people who knew better got laid off a while back because if you have people preventing pandemics, and you're a complete idiot, it's easy to think "well gosh we never have pandemics why do we need these people anyway".

Yep. I read that article yesterday and couldn't believe he had done that. Then after a few seconds thinking about it, I was not surprised anymore. It's very tragic to watch this unfold.

seebs

Adventurer
I still don't know how much of it is intentional. I've seen at least one newspaper print a piece about how this could actually be good for the economy because it'll disproportionately kill old dependents. And there was that thing recently with someone somewhere in the DOJ issuing orders to take down signs about how to reduce the spread of the virus in a way that appears to be targeted at trying to maximize deaths among refugees. Classy!

Remove ads