• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

CapnZapp

Legend
You could always supply them with the "information" that is descriptions on what it is like to die from Covid.

Covid is a horrible nasty disease and it turns your final days and weeks into a nightmare akin to drowning except it takes days and not minutes.

Even the worst imaginable side effect* from a vaccine is far preferable to succumbing from Covid.

Or even surviving serious Covid.

*) And yes, that includes getting a fatal allergic reaction.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe. For some (I hope not too high) number it may be too late for that. They've been so steeped in fear and distrust that even approval won't move them.
Not only that, but they have overlooked that most of those warning them against vaccines have themselves been vaccinated.

Which doesn’t surprise me. In classic “there’s nothing new under the sun”, an article I read months ago pointing out parallels between prior pandemics and this one, there was an MD who got vaccinated against whatever it was, and kept publishing Op-Eds about the dangers of vaccinations to scare people away from them.

I would love to learn what kind of mind drives that kind of mendacity.

My parents here in Texas are like this, too.

Sorry to hear you're fighting that battle. It sucks.

I have a friend who's a nurse. She was one of the first to get the vax in the state. Meanwhile, her parents haven't been vaccinated, and own a restaurant. Over the course of lockdown she had to cut her kids off from their grandparents because of concerns about quarantine procedures, which lead to related political fights, family members blocking each other on social media, and a lot of hurt feelings. It was complicated and painful. The relationship is still strained. But her parents never relented; they kept the restaurant open, and they never got the vax.

Late last week, her mother was hospitalized with COVID (might be a variant, I'm not sure). There's no amount of "I told you so" that feels comforting when a person you love could die.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Sorry to hear you're fighting that battle. It sucks.

I have a friend who's a nurse. She was one of the first to get the vax in the state. Meanwhile, her parents haven't been vaccinated, and own a restaurant. Over the course of lockdown she had to cut her kids off from their grandparents because of concerns about quarantine procedures, which lead to related political fights, family members blocking each other on social media, and a lot of hurt feelings. It was complicated and painful. The relationship is still strained. But her parents never relented; they kept the restaurant open, and they never got the vax.

Late last week, her mother was hospitalized with COVID (might be a variant, I'm not sure). There's no amount of "I told you so" that feels comforting when a person you love could die.
That's so sad. It's awful that so many families and friendships are being torn up by this, and largely because of the greed and cynicism of the predators spewing the disinformation.
All I can do, I suppose, is try not to be too angry at loved ones, and just be there for them if worse comes to worst. And hopefully others in the same boat can find their own way through it, as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A mind with some form of vested interest, or course. Hypocrisy comes easy for folks who can make money, fame, or political hay out of the contention.
True, and I know that in general.

But when I see one like the MD I mentioned- someone who not only knows the dangers of the contagion, the promise of the vaccines, AND have taken an oath to act in the public interest while doing no harm- it’s hard to divine why they’d act in such a way.

I mean, op-ed pieces don’t pay. Dead patients don’t book appointments. Etc.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But when I see one like the MD I mentioned- someone who not only knows the dangers of the contagion, the promise of the vaccines, AND have taken an oath to act in the public interest while doing no harm- it’s hard to divine why they’d act in such a way.

I could only guess. But down by you, personal emotional investment in the political haymaking seems a likely possibility.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
True, and I know that in general.

No, but their homeopathic side-businesses might pay.

Ryujin

Legend
Not only that, but they have overlooked that most of those warning them against vaccines have themselves been vaccinated.

Which doesn’t surprise me. In classic “there’s nothing new under the sun”, an article I read months ago pointing out parallels between prior pandemics and this one, there was an MD who got vaccinated against whatever it was, and kept publishing Op-Eds about the dangers of vaccinations to scare people away from them.

I would love to learn what kind of mind drives that kind of mendacity.This afternoon CNN talking heads have been beside themselves, reporting over the revelations that Fox Network personnel have "vaccine passports" :ROFLMAO:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads