• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
My gaming group was discussing it last night and that was the leading theory for the change of heart that some of those at FOX are experiencing.

My theory is the behind the scene executives aren't totally crazy and Murdoch himself is old.

His kids influence benind the scenes.

Threats of lawsuits and advertising as well.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Huh. I hadn't thought of that. Some of the states at risk are rural, with low populations, such that loss of a statistically relevant number of voters is a possibility.
It's going to take another 10 years before that's felt with the next census, though. That might as well be never for the short term focus that I expect will apply.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Certainly it’s a long term and unlikely possibility, but with the perfect storm…

Missouri hasn’t hit 35% vaccination as a state, as I recall. The counties being hit gardesare on the lower end of that scale.

Delta is hitting Missouri hard- some of the hospitals in those rural counties are already turning patients away.

Masking & vaccinations have been so politicized, even some people who have survived a hospitalization are refusing the safety measures because “it’s what THEY want”.

All of which could lead to a nasty domino effect as the pandemic drags on and sick people have to be transported farther and farther to receive treatment.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
It's going to take another 10 years before that's felt with the next census, though. That might as well be never for the short term focus that I expect will apply.
I've got no idea if those deaths will actually prove to statistically significant for turnout numbers, but the timing does coincide with 2020-based redistricting which is happening now.
I suppose it might potentially have an effect on "cracking" part of "packing and cracking" tactics to spread out voters of different political stripes?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure that this is likely to happen.

Well, North Dakota and South Dakota have abotu one tenth the population of Washington State, and thus are rather more susceptible to statistical issues.

But, no, outright loss by population reduction removing voters is unlikely, I admit.

Loss of elections by, "Lots of our people died, and we blame you for it," is more plausible. While Danny does raise examples of folks who get covid and die, denying the disease to the grave, I don't think that's the typical response.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

No, I'm not talking about census-driven allotment of seats in Congress by population. I'm talking about people who are anti-vax just losing elections because they are seen as responsible for people dying. Up until now, folks could deny that the vaccines worked. That may well become an untenable position.

And that's all I'll say on the politics angle here.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, North Dakota and South Dakota have abotu one tenth the population of Washington State, and thus are rather more susceptible to statistical issues.

But, no, outright loss by population reduction removing voters is unlikely, I admit.

Loss of elections by, "Lots of our people died, and we blame you for it," is more plausible. While Danny does raise examples of folks who get covid and die, denying the disease to the grave, I don't think that's the typical response.

Favorite one I've seen was a series of tweets over 6 weeks.

1. Mocks vaccines

2. Mocks Covid.

3. I've caught Covid due to preexisting breathing problems had to have conversation about what to do if I go on a ventilator.

4. (different person) I regret to inform everyone XYZ has passed away.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, my point about elections was twofold:

1) losses due to people reactions negatively to the way the GOP handled C19 (and other issues)

2) a possible long term consequence of states losing of seats in congress due to actual population loss.

The second is dependent on factors like proximity of a state to the upper or lower bounds of how seats are calculated, how many people they lose to deaths, how long the pandemic ravages those less-protected regions, as well as consequences of population migration.

That’s a LOT of variables.

Last edited:

Remove ads