D&D and the rising pandemic

nedjer

Adventurer
quarintine.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back in 2020, a virologist suggested that a big reason pediatric cases of Covid were relatively rare was because so many kids were actually kept out of school, not some innate resistance to the virus. That virologist may have been correct.

Zardnaar

Legend
15 cases today vaccinating 1.5 % of the population per day. My area has hit 70% 1 jab. Better late start than never I suppose. First day partial reopening after three weeks if lockdown. Aucklands still on level 4 lockdown.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know why everyone has been pretending like children are immune to covid. That seemed nonsensical to me right from the start of this epidemic. If anything, I would expect children to be superspreaders, and just as vulnerable as anyone else.
Well, it’s precisely because there were so few pediatric cases- especially serious ones- in 2020, compared to other age demographics. But as the virologist warned, that low number was likely due to factors that others were ignoring.

That kind of thinking happens all the time. Sweden looked at its initial lower numbers and thought they were doing fine without lockdowns and relatively light measures. Eventually, though, their numbers changed radically worse than their neighboring countries. It turns out one probable reason why is that a whopping 52% of Swedish adults live alone. That means they had an unaccounted-for natural pandemic “firebreak“ by spending less time in close quarters with others.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Sweden relaxed it's restrictions just the other day.

Scandinavia generally is close to 70% vaccinations (adults 16+ years of age).

Still doesn't mean this thing is close to being over, if for no other reason there's a whole frickin' world out there!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Sweden's numbers per Capita were worse than USA at one point.

Not sure on numbers now.
It is true that when Sweden suffered its worst wave the US happened to enjoyed relative calm, making those numbers possible if not exactly representative for the overall handling of the pandemic.

Not having one of our major parties actively trying to keep people stupid and uninformed does help in the long run, though, and the difference in cases nowadays is stark.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The last information I've seen I had still seems to suggest serious cases among children are, proportionate to infection numbers, pretty low. Its just that now many more children are getting infected, so the overall number of really sick children is much, much higher.

Remove ads