• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Had a look at reddit for recovering Q anon types or people knowing them.

Completely crazy mostly lacking here. Generally avoid social media very limited subreddits eg Stellaris or Fallout 4 or r/New Zealand.

Avoid Twitter like the plague.

It's just easier.

"Avoid Twitter like the because it's a plague."

Zardnaar

Legend
20 cases today country is dropping to level 2 so stuff can reopen.

Except Auckland which is level 4. Level 3 is social distancing in things like restaurants. Level 4 not much is open.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So... our provincial government is implementing a "vaccine passport" where you will have to show proof of at least one shot (via a phone app) to enter a restaurant, theatre, cinema, sporting event, etc.

There is a LOT of pushback against this. The reasonable complaint (as a FLGS owner, I understand this one) is that it is left up to the individual business/event to enforce it. (Which means, among other things, that an 18-year old usher at the movies may have to explain to an adult anti-vaxxer why he can't go to Bond until he takes his shot.)

Personally, I applaud the intent, but I dunno how well it's gonna work out. (Myself, I might consider allowing D&D or Friday Night Magic back in the store, using the passport, but that will depend on overall case counts heading back down, which right now, they are not what I'd call good, even with a high vaccination rate.)

Hussar

Legend
Watched the closing ceremonies for the Paraolympics last night. Beautiful show. But, what got me was toward the end, they handed things off to Paris where they are running the 2024 Paraolympics. It was so surreal.

In Japan, every.. single... person was masked. No crowd in attendance, the stadium was empty save for the performers and the athletes. ((And, well, the small army of television crew and whatnot, you get the point)) Switch to Paris and there's a crowd of tens of thousands all jammed together near the Eiffel tower, and not a single mask to be seen.

Or, this past weekend, my tiny village hometown of Ailsa Craig, Ontario had a car show for classic cars. Beautiful cars. Couple of thousand people in attendance. Not a single mask to be seen.

Are people seriously that stupid? I can't even... I have students whose faces I've never actually seen. They started at my school after the Pandemic started and we've been 100% masked up ever since. I wear a face shield still and usually a mask in class.

Words fail me. I cannot begin to understand the mindset here.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Watched the closing ceremonies for the Paraolympics last night. Beautiful show. But, what got me was toward the end, they handed things off to Paris where they are running the 2024 Paraolympics. It was so surreal.

In Japan, every.. single... person was masked. No crowd in attendance, the stadium was empty save for the performers and the athletes. ((And, well, the small army of television crew and whatnot, you get the point)) Switch to Paris and there's a crowd of tens of thousands all jammed together near the Eiffel tower, and not a single mask to be seen.

Or, this past weekend, my tiny village hometown of Ailsa Craig, Ontario had a car show for classic cars. Beautiful cars. Couple of thousand people in attendance. Not a single mask to be seen.

Are people seriously that stupid? I can't even... I have students whose faces I've never actually seen. They started at my school after the Pandemic started and we've been 100% masked up ever since. I wear a face shield still and usually a mask in class.

I feel sorry for Japan when it comes to the Olympics. It's hard enough to see a positive return on investment with those games at the best of times, which these were not. I hope they didn't get completely screwed.

As far as the masks go... yeah. Japan is just so much better at caring about one's place in their community than most large countries. We nearly got there, and then everyone got sick of it. One of the mistakes the government made was, when things were starting to look better, they told everyone that masks were now optional. They have since backtracked (most provinces went through something like this, AFAIK) but it was too late. Many people do not want to put the masks back on. Almost worse than they didn't want to put them on in the first place.

I never stopped having masks manditory in my store, which caused some trouble during the "optional" phase - but I feel pretty vindicated on that stance now that we've backtracked. (Not that I'm happy about having to backtrack. I'd be much happier if we could actually move forward at this point!)

Zardnaar

Legend
Mandatory masking here with level 2+.

Can remove them to eat and drink.

No D&D lvl2+ unlike last level 2. Even if we could we would have to wear them Andi don't think I want to DM for hours doing that.

100% mask use at supermarket don't really see them outside walking around the neighborhood.

Went for a walk over mild early spring night. Approx 3.6kms to stretch the legs. Peaceful in lockdown.

IMG_20210906_181249_1.jpg

IMG_20210906_181302.jpg

Was dark by the time we got home.

Ryujin

Legend

A friend from France decided it was time to get out, a couple of months back, and headed to North Africa where the numbers were better. He sent me pictures of how the streets in his city looked and even then there were crowds, but no masks.

Remove ads