• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

NotAYakk

Legend
There being a history is a winning condition at this point.

---

So the parent of a good friend of my kid is being vaccine hesitant. They don't have it; they want "more research", and their parent had a vaccine injury (of which there are like 12 serious ones in the entire country?).

My kid asked their kid if they are getting vaccinated, and the other kid was like "maybe", and my kid was "maybe we can't be friends anymore". :'(

I found out about it because their kid told their parent, and their parent sent an email to my spouse.

So, that is a thing.

Hussar

Legend
I mean, what do people expect? If you have vaccinated your kids and whatnot, how happy are you going to be if your kids go to play at someone's house that you know has never been vaccinated? It's going to be a real issue. People who choose not to get vaccinated should be aware that that choice will have a lot of consequences.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I mean, what do people expect? If you have vaccinated your kids and whatnot, how happy are you going to be if your kids go to play at someone's house that you know has never been vaccinated?
I would be unhappy with the vaccine manufacturer(s) for selling product that does not actually allow me to stop 'walking on eggshells' about catching the germ.

Hussar

Legend
I would be unhappy with the vaccine manufacturer(s) for selling product that does not actually allow me to stop 'walking on eggshells' about catching the germ.
Wait... what?

No vaccine works like that. You don't catch measles because you alone are vaccinated. You don't catch it because EVERYONE is vaccinated. That's the whole issue with the anti-vaccination movement. Not that it's dangerous to their own children, that's a somewhat separate issue. It's that their children are now a danger to everyone around them.

Do people actually believe that vaccinations mean that you can never get sick?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
A vaccine doesn't prevent someone from "catching the germ." It decreases the odds of getting ill or experiencing more serious symptoms than you might otherwise. It helps fight off the germ more effectively, and it can make you less contagious, but the virus can still get inside a body.
It's not like a vaccine sews someone's mouth and nostrils shut to keep out the virus.

Admittedly, though, a vaccine that sowed misinformation peddlers mouths shut would be pretty sweet!

Hussar

Legend
I saw a meme on Facebook the other day that showed a kindergarten teacher with like three kids, all sitting on the floor and all masked. A bunch of my friends were talking about how sad the picture looked. I was just shaking my head. Here we are, teaching children social responsibility and caring for others, all those "values" that folks keep insisting aren't being taught in school, and the very same people that are touting how great homeschooling is, are ignoring the fact that this is EXACTLY what we should be teaching children. :boggle:

Remove ads