• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

CapnZapp

Legend
Omicron is cutting through the vaccinated like a hot knife through butter.

For the life of me I cannot understand why you would willingly attend conferences, dinners, parties or go shopping in person.

This pandemic has truly shattered my belief in humans as a reasonably logical and intellectual species.

People are stupid. Monstrously stupid. Dangerously and selfishly unthinking.

We're not even talking animal level of intelligence here. More like smart as a zombie.

GreyLord

Legend

For the life of me I cannot understand why you would willingly attend conferences, dinners, parties or go shopping in person.

This pandemic has truly shattered my belief in humans as a reasonably logical and intellectual species.

People are stupid. Monstrously stupid. Dangerously and selfishly unthinking.

We're not even talking animal level of intelligence here. More like smart as a zombie.

I had heard it was a big hitter in South Africa, but thought they were still studying it elsewhere and no conclusions had been made yet.

I know a few cases have been found in other nations, but I hadn't heard anything more than that yet. Is there something more I haven't heard of?

(This could hit close to home for me as with vaccinations and such and the Delta variant finally dying down a little bit, I am supposed to be a Best Man at a wedding today in a few hours. We'll be wearing masks and social distancing, as it's probably been one of the safer times to actually hold the wedding finally. Just curious as if this was a bad idea for us to do this at this time).

Mirtek

Hero
Because being alive is more than just not being dead. Might as well not leave my home ever again, because a tile could drop on me or a car could run me over. On the other hand most accidents happen at home, so ...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. As of this morning, the World Health Organization reports ZERO deaths so far from Omicron. There are a little over 20 known cases in the US, only some of those are of vaccinated people, and they are all mild symptoms.

Because being alive is more than just not being dead. Might as well not leave my home ever again, because a tile could drop on me or a car could run me over.

And, if it were just about you, that'd be fine. But remember - statistically, it is still true that if you get covid, it is likely that someone else dies. This isn't just about personal risk, it is about being a risk to other people who didn't get a say as to whether you were going to go to a convention or something.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not worried about omicron might even make me less worried if it's more infectious less deadly it's a good thing.

Used vaccine passport for first time. Local breakfast place requested a look.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not worried about omicron might even make me less worried if it's more infectious less deadly it's a good thing.

Used vaccine passport for first time. Local breakfast place requested a look.
Used mine a couple of times, over the last two days, visiting my mother in hospital. I have to demonstrate that I'm double vaxxed to see her, but the care staff don't. That's mind boggling.

Something a podcast mentioned today that I hadn't considered: the Omicron variant didn't originate in a South Africa, so the reactions to have travel bans to there are kinda perverse.

What it looks like happened is that it originated elsewhere, and it just happened to be from a case in South Africa that researchers isolated the genome and shared their findings. Other countries might also have had cases and not shared the info. The researchers in South Africa potentially saved thousands of lives by not keeping the data to themselves, but their country gets rewarded with travel bans because policy makers don't understand the research process.

It's a good reminder that we should be cautious of our assumptions.

Zardnaar

Legend
Something a podcast mentioned today that I hadn't considered: the Omicron variant didn't originate in a South Africa, so the reactions to have travel bans to there are kinda perverse.

What it looks like happened is that it originated elsewhere, and it just happened to be from a case in South Africa that researchers isolated the genome and shared their findings. Other countries might also have had cases and not shared the info. The researchers in South Africa potentially saved thousands of lives by not keeping the data to themselves, but their country gets rewarded with travel bans because policy makers don't understand the research process.

It's a good reminder that we should be cautious of our assumptions.

Better to be safe than sorry. It's already out there can always open the borders later.

Zardnaar

Legend
Used mine a couple of times, over the last two days, visiting my mother in hospital. I have to demonstrate that I'm double vaxxed to see her, but the care staff don't. That's mind boggling.

Those workers were some of the first to be included in vaccine mandate.

Hussar

Legend
Just saw in the UK, that they are requiring PCR tests within 48 hours AFTER arriving in the UK by flight, and you need to self-quarantine until the results are known.

WTF? You can travel to your countries without a PCR test before getting on the plane? The more I keep reading about the lack of restrictions in other countries the more horrified I get. We haven't been able to enter the country without a PCR test in two years. And that's everyone, citizen or not. No PCR test, they don't even let you on the plane if that plane is going to Japan.

What the hell is wrong with other countries. This should have been standard practice a year ago.

Remove ads