D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
ban anyone from voting that cannot pass MENSA admission test.

The use of testing to qualify people for voting rights has a long and racially problematic past, and would likely end up as racially discriminatory if used in the future, because pretty much all standardized written exams measuring academic accomplishment end up with racially biased outcomes.

Discussion of this point beyond that probably qualifies as politics, so I will eave it at that.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The use of testing to qualify people for voting rights has a long and racially problematic past, and would likely end up as racially discriminatory if used in the future, because pretty much all standardized written exams measuring academic accomplishment end up with racially biased outcomes.

Discussion of this point beyond that probably qualifies as politics, so I will eave it at that.

So you get to put your political slant on it and then deny further discussion...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So you get to put your political slant on it and then deny further discussion...

It seems to me that the topic of controlling access to voting rights is innately political. I could have swooped in with red text for people for that. I instead chose give a tad of context myself, and in the process note how it is political, and allow folks to back off without calling individuals out as bad actors.

Pardon me for choosing what historically has proven to be a less confrontational method. I am sorry you don't like it. Your dislike of it is noted. Now please move on.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It seems to me that the topic of controlling access to voting rights is innately political. I could have swooped in with red text for people for that. I instead chose give a tad of context myself, and in the process note how it is political, and allow folks to back off without calling individuals out as bad actors.

Pardon me for choosing what historically has proven to be a less confrontational method. I am sorry you don't like it. Your dislike of it is noted. Now please move on.

You really have no idea how you come off do you?

Horwath

Legend

If it's biased it's biased. Who cares...
This isn't 19th century.

I mean,
people from Dinaric Alps are the tallest in the world
people from equatorial Africa have the longest "schlongs"
people from east Asia have the highest IQs,
people from Oceania have highest BMI,
etc...

you can take any category of humanity and find a country/continent/ethnicity/religion that is best/worst in that given category.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This isn't 19th century.

Mod Note:
Okay, fine. I gave you an easy out, but you chose not to take it.

This sub-topic is now closed. Further discussion of use of tests to control voting rights will get you booted from the thread.

This isn't 19th century.
I’ll try to avoid getting political to avoid moderation.

Voting is a collective responsability. The fact that the “average” 18-year old may not show a great deal of sober judgment is not a reason to prevent them from voting. The voting population as a whole should demonstrate sufficient maturity and sober judgment to outweigh an 18-year old who writes in “Your *nus” on their ballot (keeping examples apolitical).

If your electorate as a whole (or simply in sufficient numbers) fails to demonstrate maturity and sober judgment in their voting behaviour, than the response is better teaching of civics in school and other measures to both increase turnout and inform the public.

Even though voting is a collective responsability, it is also an individual action. I absolutely reserve the right to judge you if you spend your tome complaining about the government but never vote, or choose to go out to public places while a pandemic is going on.

Although once again, I will probably cut you a little slack if you are a teenager as opposed to a senior citizen.

Zardnaar

Legend
They think they might be able to contain/mitigate it here still a'la South Korea, Singapore.

Coronavirus: Can New Zealand follow Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong in containing the spread?

People are doing the social isolation thing, and tracking of infected people's movement.

They shut a school and tested all contacts.

No deaths yet, and they're doubling ICU capacity. No one in hospital sick either positive cases are in isolation.

The velvet glove is being used by the government. Trying to drum the concept into my wife's family. I can't tell her anything and that's normally fine but they still want to do family get togathers.

Their idea if self isolation is family only mines more on a house hold level. You can't avoid all contact but you can minimise and Saturday lunches are not needed.

Getting sick of "it's to hard with the kids". Different generations I suppose I was raised children seen not heard, now it's do whatever the hell you want.

Relative to most countries I'm optimistic. Downside we're still Anglo Saxons culturally, can't tell me what to do!!!. We're a bit saner than most though so maybe.

They haven't locked down everything yet, wouldn't be surprised if it's the end if the week.

Sat in a hill with the wife yesterday looking over the ocean. Was serene. That's not gonna last much longer.

Coroc

Hero
"I'm young and healthy, this won't affect me much" is the Millennial's version of "I'm old, I don't care about climate change."
Two sides of the same coin.

And equally stupid.
First (according to official info) also younger people can develop complications with Corona, and second the problem with this pandemic is that it requires ICU beds for the severe cases.
So the youngster having an infected appendix or bycicle accident will get no ICU bed, if all are blocked by severe corona cases.

And many people have grandparents and many people have children and grandchildren, to be ignorant about something, could endanger someone you care about, or even if you got no relatives, someone a friend of you cares about.

Still, the climate crisis is something i see far more relaxed than this outbreak with all of its possible cosequences, not only for people but also for the economy.

Remove ads