D&D and the rising pandemic

Sadras

Legend
I've got a theory. If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper for 14 days you don't need to worry to much about Covid-19.

And yet scouts are told to be prepared. The 14 day-lockdown could be extended right?
I mean it is also wise to ensure you have credit limit availability (overdraft facility, mortgage bond access facility and increasing credit card limits). You do not have to use all of it just have it available.

Zardnaar

Legend
And yet scouts are told to be prepared. The 14 day-lockdown could be extended right?
I mean it is also wise to ensure you have credit limit availability (overdraft facility, mortgage bond access facility and increasing credit card limits). You do not have to use all of it just have it available.

Sure but more stocks can be brought up.

Media reporting it creates fear of missing out (FOMO).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was a scout. There’s being prepared, and being overprepared. Everything you buy comes with an opportunity cost- not just to other buyers, but to yourself.

Some of that energy & money spent on acquiring TP- for a disease that doesn’t seem to affect the lower GI tract all that much- would be better spent getting things like Tylenol, nitrile gloves or facial tissues.

(But not in excess, of course.)

Zardnaar

Legend
I was a scout. There’s being prepared, and being overprepared. Everything you buy comes with an opportunity cost- not just to other buyers, but to yourself.

Some of that energy & money spent on acquiring TP- for a disease that doesn’t seem to affect the lower GI tract all that much- would be better spent getting things like Tylenol, nitrile gloves or facial tissues.

(But not in excess, of course.)

Well those are getting hard to get.

Suppliers can't restock hand sanitizer. That's going to be a worldwide shortage for the forseeable future. Apparently 1/3rd aloe vera hell, 2 thirds some sort of alcohol will do in a pinch/better than nothing.

Growth, especially in low and middle income countries, is linked to reduced mortality rate. While it's worthwhile to cause a recession to save a few thousands lives in the developped countries -- especially as, in high income countries, the effects of reducing use of cars (due to loss of jobs) lowers the number of death in car accidents, so the correlation between mortality rate and recession is less clear -- it might not be the wisest choice globally as it can cause an increase of mortality rate in, say, China that would end up costing many more lives, albeit silently.
Spurious answer at best. If you don't focus on saving lives the mortality rate from the virus plus collateral increased mortality due to an overwhelmed health system - heart attacks not being dealt with; strokes not being dealt with; insufficient capacity to deal with trauma; insufficient capacity to provide cancer treatment; insufficient capacity to monitor conditions such as diabetes, MS, etc; will cause massive economic damage. I'm a health care professional; I can say that if your healthcare system can't cope because of the enormous surge of people needing medical intervention/ critical care then the COVID 19 mortality rate will rise to about 12%. Plus, the collateral death rate I explained above. World wide that equates to many millions of deaths.

Focus on preventing infection spread to flatten the curve of peak infection first. The economy has to be protected where possible for sure but it's not the number one priority.

In China and South Korea, they haven't just managed to flatten the curve, they killed the curve.

Last edited:

Well those are getting hard to get.

Suppliers can't restock hand sanitizer. That's going to be a worldwide shortage for the forseeable future. Apparently 1/3rd aloe vera hell, 2 thirds some sort of alcohol will do in a pinch/better than nothing.
Nope, just use a bar of soap and hot water - that is all you need. People are focusing too much on hand wash. If you don't have hand sanitizer then a) do not touch your mouth, nose or eyes and b) wash your hands with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds once you are indoors making sure you wash ALL parts of the hand - the thumbs; in-between the fingers; the pads of the fingers; the palms; the wrists. Use running water to rinse.

Yeah, but same goes for the person who was restocking the shelves in the store. Unless you went out two weeks ago, and bought 3 months of food, you're gonna have to face some risk. Sorry.

In my state all bars are now closed. The governor has ordered no dine-in at restaurants at all - only take out or delivery. Gatherings of more than 25 people are now banned, even for religious purposes.

They are not screwing around.
This is why the recommendation is to wash your hands regularly even if you stay indoors precisely because there are items in your home that have recently come from outside. Do not touch your mouth, nose or eyes with unwashed hands if you've handled items recently brought inside.

Managing infection control at this present time does require an almost OCD level of attention.

Spurious answer at best. If you don't focus on saving lives the mortality rate from the virus plus collateral increased mortality due to an overwhelmed health system - heart attacks not being dealt with; strokes not being dealt with; insufficient capacity to deal with trauma; insufficient capacity to provide cancer treatment; insufficient capacity to monitor conditions such as diabetes, MS, etc; will cause massive economic damage. I'm a health care professional; I can say that if your healthcare system can't cope because of the enormous surge of people needing medical intervention/ critical care then the COVID 19 mortality rate will rise to about 12%. Plus, the collateral death rate I explained above. World wide that equates to many millions of deaths.

Focus on preventing infection spread to flatten the curve of peak infection first. The economy has to be protected where possible for sure but it's not the number one priority.

I wasn't advocating doing nothing. I was reacting to your statement that only sociopaths would consider the economy over saving lives from Covid19. According to this study published on the Lancet, concordant with many others, the economic troubles in Brazil following the 2008 recession -- which could be milder than the one we are about to face -- caused an increase of mortality amounting to an additional 30,000 death in the country. It's not being a sociopath to worry about this indirect mortality, especially in China, whose population is much larger.

I wasn't advocating doing nothing. I was reacting to your statement that only sociopaths would consider the economy over saving lives from Covid19. According to this study published on the Lancet, concordant with many others, the economic troubles in Brazil following the 2008 recession -- which could be milder than the one we are about to face -- caused an increase of mortality amounting to an additional 30,000 death in the country. It's not being a sociopath to worry about this indirect mortality, especially in China, whose population is much larger.
There are one or two posters on here who advocate that the main focus should be on saving the economy. Just, no.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases