D&D and the rising pandemic

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's really tough to self quarantine and hunker down with blended families. Which are a lot more common now. My partner and her kid and I can't just hunker down. His dad is a musician, so we legitimately worry his huge exposure pool puts him at risk, and we can't very well say "sorry, you can't see your kid for months".

I imagine my scenario isn't all that rare.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
At 52, I’m the youngest person in the household. I suspect that in the near future- but for my Dad going to work- I’m going to be the one who does most of the things that need to ge done outside of the house.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's really tough to self quarantine and hunker down with blended families. Which are a lot more common now. My partner and her kid and I can't just hunker down. His dad is a musician, so we legitimately worry his huge exposure pool puts him at risk, and we can't very well say "sorry, you can't see your kid for months".

I imagine my scenario isn't all that rare.

The idea is to limit your exposure to everyone else.

Musician might need to have a break. There's not going to be a lot of punters anyway.

If you have symptoms then you isolate full stop no if's or buts. Dry cough, fever, respiratory problems are the big ones. You don't need to go to the hospital unless you have severe symptoms or respiratory problems. Might just be a cold or normal flu.

Most cases are mild, obviously you can't avoid your immediate family in your house.

Otherwise use Skype or have a break. If someone like a musician wants to go perform in crowds you don't have to associate with them.

Don't hang out in large crowds or high risk people. High risk includes people who like large crowds and medical professionals unless you have to see your doctor.

You're better off not going to the pharmacy or hospital unless you have no choice.

Last edited:

seebs

Adventurer
You mean like having a CDC?

Yeah, and specifically, having a pandemic response team that, until a couple of years ago, was specifically monitoring for things like this in a lot more countries, including China, so they could be on top of things and possibly even help those countries catch stuff like this before it spread in the first place.

Man, that was a cool idea. I wonder what happened to it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yeah, and specifically, having a pandemic response team that, until a couple of years ago, was specifically monitoring for things like this in a lot more countries, including China, so they could be on top of things and possibly even help those countries catch stuff like this before it spread in the first place.

Man, that was a cool idea. I wonder what happened to it.

Isn't that what the whole CDC is - "a pandemic response team"?

seebs

Adventurer
Not really. Their funding got badly cut, and there was a different group specifically focused on this kind of situation (but I think under the NSC, not the CDC) that got fired a while back because, as long as they do their job, it doesn't look important because we don't have so many pandemics.

FrogReaver

Not really. Their funding got badly cut, and there was a different group specifically focused on this kind of situation (but I think under the NSC, not the CDC) that got fired a while back because, as long as they do their job, it doesn't look important because we don't have so many pandemics.

So the Center for Disease Control's job isn't to monitor, control and respond to pandemics?

slobster

Hero
Isn't that what the whole CDC is - "a pandemic response team"?
Actually no, the CDC does a lot of things, most of them involved in routine standards of care and best practices for healthcare related to, surprisingly, diseases. Most of what the CDC does is day-by-day healthcare. A small portion of the CDC is dedicated to monitoring, preparing for, and responding to potential widespread outbreaks of known and novel diseases.

I mean I know you two are dancing around a political topic, but I thought I'd throw in that answer to your question.

FrogReaver

Actually no, the CDC does a lot of things, most of them involved in routine standards of care and best practices for healthcare related to, surprisingly, diseases. Most of what the CDC does is day-by-day healthcare. A small portion of the CDC is dedicated to monitoring, preparing for, and responding to potential widespread outbreaks of known and novel diseases.

I mean I know you two are dancing around a political topic, but I thought I'd throw in that answer to your question.

Stating the CDC's mission objectives has nothing to do with politics.

Remove ads