D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: grocery stores as vectors

Back in the 1980s, I had worked out details of a plan for curbside delivery of groceries to busy shoppers who called ahead. The family I did that for never found the funds to open their grocery store.

Over the past 5 years, we’ve seen several major stores roll out curbside/“will call” type shopping experiences.

And just the other day, POTUS asked Target & other big retailers to host drive through Covid-19 testing locations In their parking lot.

It seems to me that the retailers in that group who also sell groceries (& other necessities) would be doing a good thing to introduce or expand existing curbside services. It would minimize disease vectors by maximizing the social distancing between shoppers. Especially if curbside service is the only option...

Inconvenient? Sure. But less so than contributing to the spread of the pandemic. It shouldn’t be any worse than the gas lines of the 1970s.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was, in fact, talking about ordering in. Did you miss that?
In fairness, I did. But I’d still feel safer in a restaurant than a grocery store.

Not that I feel particularly unsafe in a grocery, mind you. I did just gave to go the other day, and while the aisles were still relatively uncongested, the checkout area was a sea of humanity. No possibility of social distancing at all.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was, in fact, talking about ordering in. Did you miss that?

I did miss that, but it doesn't really change what I said. Restaurants that do have sick people are still going to be greatly increasing my chances of contracting the illness. They should be shut down for the duration.

Oh, and by the way... do you want to talk about the impact of having these low-wage earners having their jobs disappear, and what impact their subsequent behavior has on R0? Because that may be a tad inconvenient to your point.
Hopefully the government issues the help that they have been saying that they are working on, because if it comes down to a choice between low-wage earners working for the duration of this vs. people dying, I'm going to be on the side of less people dying. Death is more than an inconvenience.

MarkB

Legend
Re: grocery stores as vectors

Back in the 1980s, I had worked out details of a plan for curbside delivery of groceries to busy shoppers who called ahead. The family I did that for never found the funds to open their grocery store.

Over the past 5 years, we’ve seen several major stores roll out curbside/“will call” type shopping experiences.

And just the other day, POTUS asked Target & other big retailers to host drive through Covid-19 testing locations In their parking lot.

It seems to me that the retailers in that group who also sell groceries (& other necessities) would be doing a good thing to introduce or expand existing curbside services. It would minimize disease vectors by maximizing the social distancing between shoppers. Especially if curbside service is the only option...

Inconvenient? Sure. But less so than contributing to the spread of the pandemic. It shouldn’t be any worse than the gas lines of the 1970s.
A lot of supermarkets over here are already set up for home delivery, but it'd be nice to have the option of a remote (app based?) delivery-receipt system so that you could ask the driver to just leave the items at the door and let you bring them in afterwards to limit contact.

jgsugden

Legend
A lot of supermarkets over here are already set up for home delivery, but it'd be nice to have the option of a remote (app based?) delivery-receipt system so that you could ask the driver to just leave the items at the door and let you bring them in afterwards to limit contact.
Do you know how long the virus can survive on cardboard? Up to 24 hours. If your delivery guy has it and does not practice safe practices, then it is coming into your house.

MarkB

Legend
Do you know how long the virus can survive on cardboard? Up to 24 hours. If your delivery guy has it and does not practice safe practices, then it is coming into your house.

Thanks, that I hadn't heard. I was assuming that it'd perish reasonably quickly outside a host - minutes rather than hours, let alone days. :(

seebs

Adventurer
Hopefully the government issues the help that they have been saying that they are working on, because if it comes down to a choice between low-wage earners working for the duration of this vs. people dying, I'm going to be on the side of less people dying. Death is more than an inconvenience.

Turns out that this kills people too, and perhaps more directly, creates strong incentives for people to not "notice" that they're sick, or to engage in motivated reasoning to conclude that it's nothing, and that means... people die.

Turns out paid sick leave is a huge win from a public health standpoint.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Turns out that this kills people too, and perhaps more directly, creates strong incentives for people to not "notice" that they're sick, or to engage in motivated reasoning to conclude that it's nothing, and that means... people die.

Turns out paid sick leave is a huge win from a public health standpoint.

Er. I said that hopefully the government issues money to pay for people to stay home. That's what they have been saying that they have been working on. That's paid sick leave. It doesn't create an incentive to kill people. ;)

Celebrim

Legend

So you assume the delivery guy hasn't practiced safe practices and you treat everything as potentially contaminated. You put it on a reserve pantry for 2-3 days, then you wash your hands thoroughly.

You'll going to have to get to the new hygiene normal being a lot closer to a hospital than what we're used to.

Remove ads