D&D and the rising pandemic

Coroc

Hero
Depends on what you mean by 'quarantine'.

In Canada if you are a recent traveler or suspect you have had close contact with someone who might have it then you are to go into 14 day isolation. That means not leaving your house for anything, even groceries.

Everyone in the country is expected to practice social distancing. That means only leaving the house for essential tasks like grocery shopping or to get some walking exercise. Groups no larger than 2 people.

The federal health minister has stated that social distancing will probably be in effect for months. I commented to my doctor today (via telephone) about being in for 3-4 months and she said to expect longer.

Sorry I was not clear enough I did not mean actual quarantine but the social lockdown which we got e.g. here in Germany, and which requires the government to support every company and workers, who cannot work anymore due to this.
But this is only the economic aspect of it.

Although some do not see this, but this solitary isolation or forced core family isolation can cause all sort of social problems too. Sometimes people still live together, but in reality should better have split up long ago, but I know cases where pairs are still together just because of the big house they own or the children they got, and before Corona they could both have their own social circle but this is not possible anymore.
Or if there is already a situation out of hand with domestic violence and now there is not even an escape for the victims.

For singles they got no possibility to meet people anymore. Especially if you are young and in this situation you might get irresponsible at some point if the isolating lasts to long.

Mirtek

Hero
I wonder what will happen when covid really goes dormant in summer only to come back in winter, like some experts predict, and this second outbreak will hit the hospitals at the very same time as the skyrocketing birth rates when all these "corona babies" arrive

The effect of way shorter events, like power outtages, on birth rates are well documented.

Coroc

Hero
I wonder what will happen when covid really goes dormant in summer only to come back in winter, like some experts predict, and this second outbreak will hit the hospitals at the very same time as the skyrocketing birth rates when all these "corona babies" arrive

The effect of way shorter events, like power outtages, on birth rates are well documented.

Well, that happens if people only stock toilet paper instead of condoms :p

Hussar

Legend
Ok, just to interject here. As someone who lives in a country (Japan) which has been dealing with this for a bit longer than you folks have, take a really, really deep breath.

Can it be really bad? Yup. It can. Look at Italy.

OTOH, look at Japan. Our first case was over a month ago, and, yes, there have been cases all over the country, but, certainly not to the panic levels that I'm seeing here. (Barring that complete stupidity over that stupid cruise ship :Grrr: ) Yes, we closed our schools for a month. Yup, they've cancelled a lot of the group activities.

And, it is apparently working. Cases are declining. China is opening up Wuhan.

I dunno. Maybe because this is the third pandemic I've been through in the past twenty years - I was in Asia for SARS, and MERS and a few other goodies as well. It's hard not to get a bit more blase about it. Take precautions, be careful, and things are going to sort themselves out in a few weeks.

Deep breaths. That's the ticket. Well, deep breaths far away from other people. :D

R_J_K75

Legend
Resized_S.jpg

OTOH, look at Japan. Our first case was over a month ago, and, yes, there have been cases all over the country, but, certainly not to the panic levels that I'm seeing here. (Barring that complete stupidity over that stupid cruise ship :Grrr: ) Yes, we closed our schools for a month. Yup, they've cancelled a lot of the group activities.

And, it is apparently working. Cases are declining. China is opening up Wuhan.

The problem is that in the United States we have abysmally incompetent "leadership" at the federal level which does not believe in science. Not what you want in a global pandemic. And because there is more of a culture of individualism here, there are a lot of f**king selfish idiots who insist that no politician is going to tell them what to do. So they are out partying at Spring Break in Florida and hitting the clubs and what not, spreading the virus. They make me want to scream. There is not the culture of common good and compliance in the United States like there is in Japan and some other Asian countries.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
The problem is that in the United States we have abysmally incompetent "leadership" at the federal level. And because there is more of a culture of individualism here, there are a lot of f**king selfish idiots who insist that no politician is going to tell them what to do. So they are out partying at Spring Break in Florida and hitting the clubs and what not, spreading the virus. They make me want to scream. There is not the culture of common good and compliance in the United States like there is in Japan and some other Asian countries.
I guess it’s the price of living in a western society. The same happened here in Italy at the beginning of the outbreak. Now the government has enforced draconian measures, police checkpoints are everywhere, and some dumbasses still try to weasel their way around the containment rules.

Around 40k people have been caught so far, they face severe fines or even jail time. Idiots.

I guess it’s the price of living in a western society. The same happened here in Italy at the beginning of the outbreak. Now the government has enforced draconian measures, police checkpoints are everywhere, and some dumbasses still try to weasel their way around the containment rules.

Around 40k people have been caught so far, they face severe fines or even jail time. Idiots.

I fear the U.S. is going to wind up like your country. I live in Washington State which was the initial epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. Thankfully, the political leadership here DOES believe in science (what a concept). So there is some hope for my home state at least.

Remove ads