D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Down to single digits, 9 new cases..

Majority of cases have also recovered. Decision about lockdown level 3 tomorrow.

Some parts of the world are getting the worst of it.

Basically they can't isolate due to resources. People starving already.

Last edited:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Some parts of the world are getting the worst of it.

Basically they can't isolate due to resources. People starving already.

And on top of covid-19, eastern Africa is now bracing for the worst locust swarms in decades:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Apparently there are already at least 3 variants going around.

Note that "variant" does not equate to "will need a different vaccine.

I believe this was mentioned up-thread, but we are used to thinking about the flu, that needs a new virus every year. That is partly due to change, but more because 1) Vaccine immunity to influenza only lasts about six months, and 2) there are several significantly different viruses and we don't know which one will spread widely in a given year.

Due to differences in genetic structure, the covid-19 virus changes much more slowly than influenza does.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Possibly with another strain . . .

Or the same one. We don't know.

Ellipses are great for sounding mysterious and increasing tension (so - anxiety), but ellipses indicate a lack of information. There's enough known stuff to worry about that suggesting completely unproven stuff really isn't constructive.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Later in that article a virologist is quoted as saying that they would never think to use the drug to treat Covid-19 because of how toxic the drug is at levels which kill the virus. (I tried to cut and paste the paragraph here, but Chicago Tribune does something that break select/copy on an IPad. Bad, CT, Bad!)

I suspect this is the case for a lot of drugs. Lysol probably kills the virus very effectively, but you don’t want to spray your lungs with that.

Be Safe, Be Well,
Tom Bitonti
True, but that doesn’t fully negate its potential. It could be a lower, non-toxic dose hampers Covid’s ability to replicate, buying time for the body’s immune system to defeat it. Perhaps a low dose partnered with other drugs will do the trick.

Maybe research into it will lead to a similar drug that is more effective but less toxic.

...or maybe it’s a complete dead end. Only time will tell.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Apparently there are already at least 3 variants going around. As for immunity, I heard something about cured patients becoming infected a 2nd time...
8 strains, last I looked,

There are some reports of patients testing positive after supposedly being declared a Covid-free, but they‘re still trying to figure out exactly why.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Of course, there’s hundreds of coronaviruses out there...
I have a personal strain that never leaves me. As soon as my defenses get low I start getting a sore throat and all symptoms vanish the moment I get rest and relax enough. Until the next time I get too little sleep or a very stressful day.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Or the same one. We don't know.

Ellipses are great for sounding mysterious and increasing tension (so - anxiety), but ellipses indicate a lack of information. There's enough known stuff to worry about that suggesting completely unproven stuff really isn't constructive.

Same goes for suggesting it may be the same strain.

Remove ads