D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
What are the assumptions/specifics going into the "are going to starve to death" number? Are you including the usual rate at which people starve in the world anyway, which is pretty high but not really related usually?

All the economic research I've seen on epidemic/pandemic circumstances suggests that longer and stricter restrictions on public gatherings, etcetera, produce dramatically better outcomes both in terms of lives lost and in terms of economic recovery. It turns out dead people don't come back to work.

Earlier in the thread articles were posted.

BBC had one saying the disruptions due to Covid at 30 million. Another poster said 100 million and posted the link.

Another article pointed out the problems of a one size fits all approach of lockdowns. In places like India people will starve.

It's a sad reality.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
It's sad, but it's not universally true.

Some countries can't afford to lock down. India is one such place.

They're in some form of lockdown but people are gonna go hungary/starve.

Brazil and Venezuela as well.

Throw in economic disruption and the west is gonna be broke/short of food themselves.

There's food rotting in the ground in the UK atm because they don't have the migrants to harvest it, the British don't wanna do it and consumers don't want to pay more to pay the British to do it.

Everyone just kind of expects someone else to do it and they buy it for cheap.

Similar thing here and US. With lockdowns you either can't harvest it or if you can you can't sell it as the restaurants etc are shut.

Catch 22.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

Lem23

Adventurer
Nothing new. Look up luddites.

You should look up Luddites. Despite them now being associated with knee-jerk anti-technological groups, the original Luddites (Capital L, as followers of their possibly mythical hero Ned Ludd) were not anti-technology. They were a proto-union, workers who were being mistreated by shop owners, not being paid fairly, and undergoing unsafe practices that could maim or kill them. As a consequence, they first tried to reason with the owners, and wen that failed, went for direct action instead.

At the time, many factories encompassed large rooms where several owners would have their machines. The Luddites would often disguise themselves, then break into the factories and smash the equipment of those owners who were treating them unfairly. They would not smash the equipment of the fair employers. The Luddites stopped their attacks when unions were made legal in England.

If you're interested in learning more about the actual Luddites, start with EP Thompson's excellent The Making of the English Working Class which covers their history in some detail. He's also written some articles (as have others) that go into more detail on the Luddites and similar movements if you have access to journal databases.

Zardnaar

Legend
You should look up Luddites. Despite them now being associated with knee-jerk anti-technological groups, the original Luddites (Capital L, as followers of their possibly mythical hero Ned Ludd) were not anti-technology. They were a proto-union, workers who were being mistreated by shop owners, not being paid fairly, and undergoing unsafe practices that could maim or kill them. As a consequence, they first tried to reason with the owners, and wen that failed, went for direct action instead.

At the time, many factories encompassed large rooms where several owners would have their machines. The Luddites would often disguise themselves, then break into the factories and smash the equipment of those owners who were treating them unfairly. They would not smash the equipment of the fair employers. The Luddites stopped their attacks when unions were made legal in England.

If you're interested in learning more about the actual Luddites, start with EP Thompson's excellent The Making of the English Working Class which covers their history in some detail. He's also written some articles (as have others) that go into more detail on the Luddites and similar movements if you have access to journal databases.

Just as well it's a forum and I used it in it's anti technology context.

Since this isn't a university lecture il file it between I already know that/don't care.

Lem23

Adventurer
Just as well it's a forum and I used it in it's anti technology context.

Since this isn't a university lecture il file it between I already know that/don't care.

Oh, don't worry, my university lecture on the subject goes on for about 45 minutes, though that does include a bit on the Captain Swing riots too. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases