D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Human capital" is an economic term. It has a specific meaning and while many have mistaken it in a "dehumanizing" manner, that's not how it's meant or how it was used.
I have a degree in economics. I know the term. That it is academic in origins and intended to be used in formal economics does not make it not dehumanizing. It is, just in a neutral way.

That’s why it’s an economic term not one generally used in interviews. Despite its origins, using it outside of a forum where you can give it proper context leads to bad optics.

In an interview regarding a subject where you already have a context of some people complaining they are being undervalued and sacrificed for the sake of profits, you get terrible optics.

I mean, imagine using “human capital” while directly addressing restless strikers. Do you think the results would calming or inflammatory?

Zardnaar

Legend
Yay!

Well, "new cases" rarely catches asymptomatic carriers. But asymptomatic carriers either heal, or they infect someone who becomes symptomatic. And then contact tracing - targeted isolation - testing can backtrack and eliminate the asymptomatic.

So "all but". A week isn't enough to know it is wiped out.

Now the question: are you going to offer refuge to people who are willing to fly in, then quarantine while being tested for 2+ weeks? Could replace some tourism dollars in the short term!

They are already doing that. Borders not 100% sealed. Some German engineers and Avatar movie production types have made it in. Citizens can also get in although flights might be hard.

They're looking at opening up soon with Australia and Pacific Islands. By soon September.

Hollywood production also looking at NZ.

They may have missed some cases but no one's been admitted en masse, healthcare system was never under any stress.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have a degree in economics. I know the term. That it is academic in origins and intended to be used in formal economics does not make it not dehumanizing. It is, just in a neutral way.

That’s why it’s an economic term not one generally used in interviews. Despite its origins, using it outside of a forum where you can give it proper context leads to bad optics.

In an interview regarding a subject where you already have a context of some people complaining they are being undervalued and sacrificed for the sake of profits, you get terrible optics.

I mean, imagine using “human capital” while directly addressing restless strikers. Do you think the results would calming or inflammatory?

It's not what you say but how you say it.

Basic communication 101.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's not what you say but how you say it.
Eh, it's both. If you say something like, "Old people should die for the economy" like this guy:
It's not always a matter of how you say something.

(Just a small correction. My point here is that it is what you say and how you say it.)

Human capital is an economic term, which I know from taking an economy class this year. Sure, they should've chosen different language, but doctors don't care much about making people feel good as explaining the situation.

Zardnaar

Legend
Eh, it's both. If you say something like, "Old people should die for the economy" like this guy:
It's not always a matter of how you say something.

(Just a small correction. My point here is that it is what you say and how you say it.)

Human capital is an economic term, which I know from taking an economy class this year. Sure, they should've chosen different language, but doctors don't care much about making people feel good as explaining the situation.

I prefer ablunt doctor/vet.

Empathy or the ability to feign it is useful for a politician.

Here the opposition rolled their leader and spent the week scoring own goals and self inflicted wounds.

Jacindas approval ratings through the roof.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I prefer doctors who tell you exactly what the odds are and the facts, which is way better than any doctor who sugarcoats the problem. The WH economist probably should've explained what they were talking about. In a time of crisis, it's normally best to make sure people know what you're talking about. Confusion and fingerpointing is the opposite of what we need now.

Zardnaar

Legend
I prefer doctors who tell you exactly what the odds are and the facts, which is way better than any doctor who sugarcoats the problem. The WH economist probably should've explained what they were talking about. In a time of crisis, it's normally best to make sure people know what you're talking about. Confusion and fingerpointing is the opposite of what we need now.

Yeah difference between doctor and politician.

Just got the daily update. No new cases.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
3,231 overall confirmed cases in my county in Washington. Only 585 have recovered, and we have 93 deaths. Yesterday, we had 91 deaths, and just over 3,100 cases.
It's not looking good in my city.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
3,231 overall confirmed cases in my county in Washington. Only 585 have recovered, and we have 93 deaths. Yesterday, we had 91 deaths, and just over 3,100 cases.
It's not looking good in my city.

That's a lot.

How big is the city?

I think the Greater Toronto Area (6 million population) has somewhere around 2600 active cases and it is being treated as a hot spot here as the numbers are starting to climb back up.

Remove ads