D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Now, recognizing that I myself was part of the tangent.- we really don't want this turning into a thread about the protests, or cops. We should probably focus back on the original topic, please and thank you for your patience on the matter.
Posted while I was typing.

Agreed- back to our regularly scheduled hand-washing and social distancing!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
First, we shouldn't talk about politics because it is against the board rules.

but since you are making statements like that - no, actually, all cops are bad.

Here are just some of the atrocities they've been committing in the last week. And these are the ones caught on film. They do much worse when they know there are no cameras.
It's not politics, but isn't on topic. We really should get back to the topic of the thread. (It is very clearly not true to say that all cops are bad)

Well, anyway, there are now nearly 2 million cases in the USA. Deaths now are around 111,000.

Hussar

Legend
We also wiped out Covid by not doing large scale crowd gatherings using emergency powers.

May as well protest though because containment was a failure anyway.

Not sure how much leeway but there's a lot of systematic failures dating back 40 odd years.

Numbers weren't made up, I can dig up the relevant things if I have to. Failure rates are really high though, espicially for violence.

Also crossed over into revolutions. The links are buried in a locked 1000 response thread on another forum.

We predicted riots back in March. We were two weeks off in the timeline thinking they would start mid June.

Lockdown talks started in January and we had similar conversions in March.

But, again, and I HAVE to keep pointing this out to you @Zardnaar, I live in a country with nearly 8 times your population, with a population density probably 100 times greater, an easy 40 minute flight from Shanghai and a bit over 2 hours to Beijing, with millions of Chinese tourists arriving on a daily basis before the travel restrictions which weren't implemented until mid-April, where there is NO LOCKDOWN at all. Legally, the Japanese government cannot lock down the country. They do not have that power. The Japanese Constitution does not include a war measures act because Japan's not allowed to go to war with anyone. There is no Riot Act in Japan. At best, the government could request that people stay home.

Yet, we've had few deaths and the lowest rates of the G7. If you remove that cruise ship from the equation, Japan has had about 300 deaths, TOTAL.

So, you can keep talking about how the New Zealand solution is the best way all you like, but, it's simply not true and it's ignoring facts.

Or, to put it another way, we've largely wiped out Covid without any emergency powers and a barely noticeable lockdown.

Zardnaar

Legend
But, again, and I HAVE to keep pointing this out to you @Zardnaar, I live in a country with nearly 8 times your population, with a population density probably 100 times greater, an easy 40 minute flight from Shanghai and a bit over 2 hours to Beijing, with millions of Chinese tourists arriving on a daily basis before the travel restrictions which weren't implemented until mid-April, where there is NO LOCKDOWN at all. Legally, the Japanese government cannot lock down the country. They do not have that power. The Japanese Constitution does not include a war measures act because Japan's not allowed to go to war with anyone. There is no Riot Act in Japan. At best, the government could request that people stay home.

Yet, we've had few deaths and the lowest rates of the G7. If you remove that cruise ship from the equation, Japan has had about 300 deaths, TOTAL.

So, you can keep talking about how the New Zealand solution is the best way all you like, but, it's simply not true and it's ignoring facts.

Or, to put it another way, we've largely wiped out Covid without any emergency powers and a barely noticeable lockdown.

I don't think there's a one size fits all solution.

Japan's also done very very little testing.

If they randomly tested say 100000 people and see if there's any evidence of community spread. The government was hell-bent on the Olympics going ahead until well into April.

Our early curve was also the same as most nation's. Size doesn't seem to be a major factor other larger nation's have successfully done better.

How much early transmission and response to it seems key.

There's also dumb luck factor and some nation's have very low numbers due to lack of testing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I really think long-internalized Japanese customs involving mask wearing for health reasons- and other cultural factors- are major reasons why Japan avoided an Italian-style covidpocalypse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases