D&D and the rising pandemic

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Minor gripe...

I am torn about all the churches that want to meet, and the skeptical side of me feels it is more over money than religion...especially churches that are trying to start up in places where the pandemic numbers are rising drastically.

Why would they do this!? It makes no sense to me if they actually cared about their members.

Makes the skeptic in me feel it's all about money rather than anything dealing with what they teach in general.

Which is odd, because I am actually HIGHLY religious (Christian). I'm lucky in that my church hasn't started up in this way, taking a far more cautious outlook, but I hear of churches starting up in areas where the virus is spreading like wildfire and it dampens my enthusiasm, and it may even be affecting my faith a bit in religion.

I'm not sure what I'd do if my church decided it was time to meet. Probably not go until this is all blown over. It would be a struggle between my personal faith and what they think should be being done. I consider myself pretty religious, maybe even hardcore religious at times, so having these feelings about churches starting up is dividing me up.

I would think they should know Churches are one of the primary vectors for the spread of disease, and during the spread of a dangerous disease, they tend to be a hotspot of spreading. We've seen several events where churches have been the hotspot of the spread of members that attend them.

It probably is that I just do not understand why this is happening and why churches feel they have to meet. So much simpler to play RPGs online...which I did tonight.

Can't catch a disease from portal or messenger. Was only about 2 hours long though. Pretty focused on the game. One of the current players is a doctor. He mentioned before we began about seeing when this will all settle down, but that it may be a while before we can see each other in person or hold sessions in person. He is probably more religious than I am, but he was pretty critical of people ignoring science. I'm not sure of what is happening as he didn't go into detail, but as things are heating up in my area (pandemic wise) I think he may be experiencing something or some stuff at the hospital that he isn't really talking to us about.
I'm also religious, and my church closed down before our state/county did. We haven't opened up, but have been doing meetings on Zoom or in the family.
I think a lot of the people who are both anti-maskers also believe that God will protect them from the virus if they meet up, so a lot of churches have been meeting up. Throughout this pandemic there have been many pastors and other church leaders that have gotten in trouble for not closing down, and so on.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My city government cancelled Fourth of July fireworks last weekend, over fears the crowd would turn into a Corona spreader event.
I don't know about anybody else, but there are so many fireworks going off this evening I would suspect people went out and bought enough to make their own show - each.

Zardnaar

Legend
My city government cancelled Fourth of July fireworks last weekend, over fears the crowd would turn into a Corona spreader event.
I don't know about anybody else, but there are so many fireworks going off this evening I would suspect people went out and bought enough to make their own show - each.

That probably fine. Each bubble can easily do it in their back yard.

Hussar

Legend
Better lucky than good?

Japan

Honestly, I think this point in the article pretty much nails it:

The government asked, people listened

I mean, the Japanese government cannot legally enforce a martial law scenario. When the US wrote the Japanese constitution, it doesn't allow for the military to take that level of action. They literally do not have a "riot act" to read. This was done for all sorts of historical reasons that aren't important now.

But, watching my student's absolute horror at the actions of people in the west- going to beaches, not wearing masks, etc. has been very enlightening. To my students, it's a moral imperative to help others. To not do so would be morally wrong. So, the notion of "it's my choice" doesn't even enter into it.

While I've got lots of issues with Japanese culture of obedience, once in a while it does work pretty darn well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases