D&D and the rising pandemic

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, the plague thing is a bit of newspaper spin. Plague shows up pretty much every year, in nearly every country in the world.

GreyLord

Legend
Honestly, I think this point in the article pretty much nails it:

I mean, the Japanese government cannot legally enforce a martial law scenario. When the US wrote the Japanese constitution, it doesn't allow for the military to take that level of action. They literally do not have a "riot act" to read. This was done for all sorts of historical reasons that aren't important now.

But, watching my student's absolute horror at the actions of people in the west- going to beaches, not wearing masks, etc. has been very enlightening. To my students, it's a moral imperative to help others. To not do so would be morally wrong. So, the notion of "it's my choice" doesn't even enter into it.

While I've got lots of issues with Japanese culture of obedience, once in a while it does work pretty darn well.

I think you nailed it as well, why they had it better (thus far). The government asked, people listened is exactly what happened.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yeah, the plague thing is a bit of newspaper spin. Plague shows up pretty much every year, in nearly every country in the world.

Not only that, but the Bubonic Plague is a bacteria, and we can fairly easily treat it with antibiotics.

Retreater

Legend
I have no plans to resume gaming in person. I have a job that already puts me in a high risk environment, and I'm not willing to tempt fate when it's not necessary. Likely my groups will never get back to regular face to face gaming. It's sad, but I guess this is the new normal. For me it's no restaurants, no local gaming stores.
This means games that require face to face play - usually in public with strangers (such as wargames like Warhammer) - are just ones I'll have to completely abandon.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Ontario except Toronto and a couple other regions entered phase 2 of reopening a month ago. Toronto began phase 2 two weeks ago.

Active cases are still on a gradual decline which is great news.

There are 1766 active cases down from 3939 a month ago and 2127 two weeks ago.

Ryujin

Legend
Ontario except Toronto and a couple other regions entered phase 2 of reopening a month ago. Toronto began phase 2 two weeks ago.

Active cases are still on a gradual decline which is great news.

There are 1766 active cases down from 3939 a month ago and 2127 two weeks ago.

But now we'll have to wait and see what, if any fallout there is from the "no masks" protest on Toronto transit, today. Selfish idiots.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not only that, but the Bubonic Plague is a bacteria, and we can fairly easily treat it with antibiotics.

Until it becomes antibiotic-resistant...

Perhaps more importantly, it is generally spread by fleabites, and we know how to control fleas fairly well.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
But now we'll have to wait and see what, if any fallout there is from the "no masks" protest on Toronto transit, today. Selfish idiots.

The pictures look like the 'protest' is pretty sparse.

There was also a 'protest' of like 20 people a few months ago at Queen's Park regarding the state of emergency.

Remove ads