D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
I know g_64 is big. I do not grok how big it is.

I know how to bake cookies. I do not grok baking cookies.

I know covid 19 risks millions of deaths. I do not grok what that means. The scale is just too big.

Sounds like you could substitute "know" into any one of those.

Retreater

Legend
Well, our governor just banned small, outdoor gatherings (larger than 10 people). So that is the second time this year that my wedding got cancelled. We can't even get our immediate families together with 10 people.
Sorry if this doesn't apply to the conversation here. I'm just feeling really down and had to vent a bit.

Incompetence is also a possibility.

You make a graph and you assign highest values to red, you'd get the same effect.

Of course, this is really really bad incompetence.

Normally, I agree that one should never assume malice when incompetence is a possibility. However, a simple remapping of the colors is not the case here. Take a look at the ranges and percentages of that graph by color:

Map 1Map 2
% Section% Inclusive% Section% Inclusive
0​
620​
13.30%​
100.00%​
0​
949​
18.37%​
100.00%​
621​
1070​
9.63%​
86.68%​
950​
1555​
11.71%​
81.61%​
1071​
1622​
11.82%​
77.02%​
1556​
2336​
15.10%​
69.87%​
1623​
2960​
28.68%​
65.18%​
2337​
3768​
27.71%​
54.75%​
2961​
4661​
36.47%​
36.47%​
3769​
5165​
27.03%​
27.03%​

That's not any type of standard normalization or coloring algorithm. It's simply not mathematically possible. Manual manipulation for the express purpose of making the maps look the same is literally the only explanation possible for those changes.

Well, our governor just banned small, outdoor gatherings (larger than 10 people). So that is the second time this year that my wedding got cancelled. We can't even get our immediate families together with 10 people.
Sorry if this doesn't apply to the conversation here. I'm just feeling really down and had to vent a bit.

This thread is exactly the place for this.

Have you thought about doing a JotP ceremony for now, and just scheduling the party part for later?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Perfectly acceptable, and you have my sympathies.

One of my wife's closes friends had to change their wedding plans, and opted for a highly distributed gathering on Zoom instead of waiting. It was actually far more charming than I would have thought.

Retreater

Legend
This thread is exactly the place for this.

Have you thought about doing a JotP ceremony for now, and just scheduling the party part for later?
The plan for two weeks from now was that: just JotP and immediate family and everyone else watching online. But to do it without my parents, brother, sister, and the bride's family just feels wrong. We can't even have our immediate family.
And what is a wedding if not a communal event. It's my parents accepting us as a couple. Her dad accepting me as a son.

Hussar

Legend
The plan for two weeks from now was that: just JotP and immediate family and everyone else watching online. But to do it without my parents, brother, sister, and the bride's family just feels wrong. We can't even have our immediate family.
And what is a wedding if not a communal event. It's my parents accepting us as a couple. Her dad accepting me as a son.

Aw Retreater. That blows.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s one thing to CHOOSE to do an elopement or Elvis-officiated webcast wedding in Vegas- both done by people I know- but having your preferences denied by circumstances beyond your control really blows. No easy answers.

The only thing I can think of is something like the military academies and some of our local schools did for graduations. Book a larger outdoor venue for the wedding and use a PA system of some kind to transmit the sounds to widely spaced tables.

Not ideal, but maybe?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And what is a wedding if not a communal event.

Weddings are two things - one is an event where the couple are recognized as a unit by their community. The other is a legal binding in the eyes of the law. In times of uncertainty, you may have use of the latter when you can't get the former - like, for healthcare coverage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases