D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, but it doesn't seem to have managed the goal.

The problem in this instance being, as has already been noted, that an impartial process, when imposed upon an inequitable starting situation, has predictably inequitable results.

Since that result is predictable, that means the plan ISN'T actually impartial. The inequitable result is chosen implicitly, which is not impartial at all.
I was thinking more of the perceptions of those who have been a consistent thorn in the side of anti-Covid efforts thus far. You know, the Dunning-Kreuger clique.

Even if the plan has predictable inequities, it still may be more effective than a fairer plan if it gets the nonconformists to conform.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Were discussing the availability of medical supplies to low income schools. You don't care if it's fair, equitable, or random as long as it's simple enough for them to understand?

That's deplorable.

I'm for whatever works. It's a plan that's an improvement over USA has been doing.

I learnt at a young age the world isn't fair or equitable and I live in a country that has better social security net.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, but it doesn't seem to have managed the goal.

The problem in this instance being, as has already been noted, that an impartial process, when imposed upon an inequitable starting situation, has predictably inequitable results.

Since that result is predictable, that means the plan ISN'T actually impartial. The inequitable result is chosen implicitly, which is not impartial at all.
People miss that... very badly

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm for whatever works.

Well, that's the question, isn't it. Does it work? I mean, if the plan doesn't target those with the most risk, does it work?

I learnt at a young age the world isn't fair or equitable and I live in a country that has better social security net.

So, "The world isn't fair, you guys are particularly bad at it, and STOP TRYING TO DO BETTER."

Maybe your advice on the matter isn't very good.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So, "The world isn't fair, you guys are particularly bad at it, and STOP TRYING TO DO BETTER."
For the school superintendant, what is Job One?
He doesn't have the resources to fix the past history of wrongs done.
He does have the resources to get his staff vaccinated.

When the schools can re-open, those underprivileged children can get the education that will let them break the cycle.

This event - arrival of a vaccine for the disease that turned the world upside down - is supposed to be a happy time and a step into a more-hopeful future. Why are you so determined to make it into a/another point of grudge and suspicion and resentment?

Zardnaar

Legend
If they and their loved ones are not being killed first... by the inequity some people want to ignore.

Not so much ignore but getting extra money is fiendishly hard in the USA so deficit spending is usually used.

Not the way I would run a country but ideal vs reality is a thing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not so much ignore but getting extra money is fiendishly hard in the USA so deficit spending is usually used.
In this case we are talking about where to allocate vaccines first within areas with individually trackable case rates actually... and it can be done as applying the bandage directed at the wound it does not need to be couched in the other economic factors and such which caused this to be the case.

Zardnaar

Legend
In this case we are talking about where to allocate vaccines first within areas with individually trackable case rates actually... and it can be done as applying the bandage directed at the wound it does not need to be couched in the other economic factors and such which caused this to be the case.

The powers that be made a plan. Not best plan but it's a plan.

More jabby jabby.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If they and their loved ones are not being killed first... by the inequity some people want to ignore.
The school system is not being given enough vaccines to vaccinate the students.
The school system is not being given enough vaccines to vaccinate the students' families.
The school system has been given enough vaccines to vaccinate the school staff.

Remove ads