D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Extreme case here. Side effect of Covid and not bailout.

House prices up by $273000 in a month.

It's also nationwide so unlike America you can really relocate anywhere else. There's bad, worse and terrible.

Think prices but a million dollars in some snakkcuty of around 50k.

Government didn't outright say it but they basically guaranteed house prices wouldn't fall and they were already bad pre Covid.

Dioltach

Legend
Here in the Netherlands there are a number of reasons why property prices are rising so fast.

The first is that interest rates are low. Banks are eager to lend money, because otherwise they have to pay interest on it to the ECB. So although the rules for borrowing are stricter than they have been, once you have a loan it's much more affordable. At the same time, people are looking for safe places to put their cash. Savings essentially lose you money: even without negative interest rates, inflation means that your money loses value (and despite the ECB's idea that low interest rates will encourage people to spend more and boost the economy, people are hoarding their cash because of the uncertainty that this creates). So real estate is a guaranteed way to make your money work for you.

Another problem here is that there's a shortage of available homes. Not only is the population growing, and like I said more and more people are buying real estate as a long-term investment, younger people apparently all want to live alone, not with a partner. So this effectively doubles the number of first-time buyers and renters, so twice the demand for a dwindling supply.

On another note, more related to the actual topic of the thread: the Janssen vaccine (Johnson & Johnson) was developed a stone's through away from my house. Less than a kilometre as the crow flies. And another company almost next door to it is producing the Oxford vaccine. Can I claim credit for them?

CapnZapp

Legend
I just got the Johnson and Johnson Vaccine today. I feel so relieved and happy. This has been a hard year. I hope everyone stays safe and is able to get their shot(s) when they become available to them.
Where I live it's likely another two month's wait before I can rejoin society, so heartfelt congrats. At least the J&J vaccine (or the Janssen vaccine as it will be known locally) was approved the other day.

Remove ads