D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How to put this delicately?

Resistance to getting vaccinated may well earn you a Darwin Award.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
A little levity for our tragedy:
https://do0bihdskp9dy.cloudfront.net/09-21-2021/t_748ad1767b5e43d6bd5fdba93d21d5dd_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_.jpg

Hopefully it will get the point (pun intended) across to some people!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t recall anyone posting this here:

TL; DR: Florida’s newly appointed Surgeon General has decided parents will decide if their kids with COVID diagnoses will quarantine or not. Said appointee was part of that group one of whose members postulated COVID was caused by “demon seed”.

IOW, DeSantis appointed a known quack to spearhead/be the fall guy for Florida’s future actions during the pandemic.

This is evil puppetry indeed.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Spotted this comic a little while ago:
I've heard a bunch of different metaphors and analogies for it, and I like this one, but I think the best one is comparing them to mandated seatbelts.

Seatbelts aren't foolproof. They won't save your life 100% of the time, but they save thousands of lives every year. Sometimes things can go wrong and they hurt or even kill people, but they're overwhelmingly a good thing. Seatbelts have been mandated for decades now, and almost all of us have gotten used to it and not claimed that it was some assault on your "freedoms". No one has a religious belief that allows them to not wear their seatbelt. And now that they've been mandated for longer than most of us have been alive, the majority of the people that die in car accidents are the ones that didn't just simply buckle up.

You may not know someone that died because they didn't wear their seatbelt, but you probably know someone that was saved because they wore won. I know that I was, back when my mother got in a car accident when she was pregnant with me.

Vaccines are like seatbelts. They're not foolproof. If you have severe allergic reactions, are immunosuppressed, or have other health conditions, the vaccine might actually harm you if you get it, just like seatbelts occasionally trap passengers inside vehicles. Mandating seatbelts and vaccines is nothing new, and isn't taking away your freedom, because your freedom only goes so far (it stops at the line of "taking away someone else's freedoms", which death is included in). They're both simple things that can protect you and those around you (wearing your own seatbelt won't protect others most of the time, but it can, especially if an accident would send you flying at other people). People that get vaccinated, just like people who wear seatbelts, are far less likely to die in an accident/from the virus than those that don't do the simple precaution.

If you're pro-seatbelt-mandates, through the same logic, you should also be pro-vaccine-mandates.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I actually do know someone who certainly was saved by a seatbelt. He wore them sporadically: he chose so to to on his way home during a break in college back in the 1980s.

Traveling up I35 from San Antonio to Dallas, his car hydroplaned under a semi. The belt kept him in the driver’s seat, the only part of the car not turned into a pancake. He got out of the car- with his new removable car stereo- before the first responders arrived. They thought he was a bystander, and started asking if he knew where the bodies were.

AFAIK, he’s still wearing them every time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
…come to think of it, my mom & I were in the middle of a 4 car hit-and-run chain reaction collision in which my Volvo popped a wheelie, landing in the trunk of the taxi in front of us. Seatbelts kept us in place, and the crumple zones did their job.

Oddly, the airbags did NOT deploy.

Hilariously, as I’m calling 911, phoning Dad to let him know what happened, etc., Mom was in a verbal loop, repeating “Un-F******-believable!” again and again for 10 minutes or so.

Remove ads