D&D and the rising pandemic

Thomas Shey

Legend
Here is a NYT article listing approved N95/KN95 masks and sellers:

I'm super annoyed that the first of these did not pop up on a search for N95's on Amazon, even though its right there when you follow that link. :p

Edit: And it turns out if you try to buy those, they aren't actually available.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Man, I really can't get tested here. I've been looking into it all day. You're pretty much locked out if you don't have an "in" in the medical community. I mean, I get it, testing is overtaxed, but it's going to be mighty hard on my small business, which would be a shame to have to happen if I don't have covid. These "home tests" that everyone talks about don't seem to be a thing here.

Hussar

Legend
It's so weird.

I've never even seen an n-95 mask here. No one wears them. Just the regular paper masks most of the time, with some folks using cloth masks.

Actually, I tell a lie. I did actually see a box of kn-95 (I assume that's the same) at the store the other day. Never worn one and never seen one worn by any of my students, but, it doesn't seem to be all that necessary.

But, as far as "Oh, I'm not going to be around people goes," here, walking at 6:30 in the morning, pretty much no people around, I still see every other walker - people walking their dogs or like me out for a walk before work - and 100% of these people are masked.

AFAIK, there's no such thing as "Oh, it's okay to not mask". It just doesn't exist. Here you might as well say, "Oh, it's okay to walk around without pants". It just doesn't happen.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Actually, I tell a lie. I did actually see a box of kn-95 (I assume that's the same) at the store the other day. Never worn one and never seen one worn by any of my students, but, it doesn't seem to be all that necessary.

They're not quite the same. The KN-95 is the Chinese standard; the N-95 is the U.S. standard. I forget the exact difference bet they're pretty close.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But, as far as "Oh, I'm not going to be around people goes," here, walking at 6:30 in the morning, pretty much no people around, I still see every other walker - people walking their dogs or like me out for a walk before work - and 100% of these people are masked.

AFAIK, there's no such thing as "Oh, it's okay to not mask". It just doesn't exist. Here you might as well say, "Oh, it's okay to walk around without pants". It just doesn't happen.

Sure, as a cultural thing, that makes some sense. Everyone doing it always makes it a habit and supports compliance.

But, in terms of the science, there's no need to mask outdoors if you are more than about 10' from people. It isn't like smog that fills the outdoors air.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They're not quite the same. The KN-95 is the Chinese standard; the N-95 is the U.S. standard. I forget the exact difference bet they're pretty close.

There are some small differences. Both are designed to filter out 95% of 0.3 micron particles, and for most people's use, they are equivalent.

1) The KN95 requires a fit test as part of the certification, meaning they have to put it on an human being, and demonstrate it has <8% leakage. The N95 does not make this fit test part of the standard.

2) The N95 has slightly stricter standards for pressure drop across the mask when inhaling and exhaling, so you might find an N95 more breathable.

3) The real practical issue is that there's TONS of counterfeit KN95s on the market, while there are few counterfeit N95s. KN95s are usually cheaper than N95s.

Zardnaar

Legend
NZ meme.
IMG-eb9ca680d119faa4a33ea55392854de8-V.png

Context NZs greatest comedian.
Sophisticated Weaponary

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are some small differences. Both are designed to filter out 95% of 0.3 micron particles, and for most people's use, they are equivalent.

1) The KN95 requires a fit test as part of the certification, meaning they have to put it on an human being, and demonstrate it has <8% leakage. The N95 does not make this fit test part of the standard.

2) The N95 has slightly stricter standards for pressure drop across the mask when inhaling and exhaling, so you might find an N95 more breathable.

3) The real practical issue is that there's TONS of counterfeit KN95s on the market, while there are few counterfeit N95s. KN95s are usually cheaper than N95s.
Here’s a link for those who want a bit more detail:

Hussar

Legend
Sure, as a cultural thing, that makes some sense. Everyone doing it always makes it a habit and supports compliance.

But, in terms of the science, there's no need to mask outdoors if you are more than about 10' from people. It isn't like smog that fills the outdoors air.
That's the thing though - it's not about "need". It's about actually caring about other people. When it becomes a habit, then, there's no real need for enforcement.

And, let's be honest here, it's pretty effective.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's the thing though - it's not about "need". It's about actually caring about other people.

Eh. This is perhaps not the place for long discussions of the differences between a cultural tradition of caring, and a cultural tradition of compliance and abnegation. I'll just say that maybe that assertion would hold up better if the workplace suicide rate wasn't quite so high.

When it becomes a habit, then, there's no real need for enforcement.

And, let's be honest here, it's pretty effective.

No argument there. I just am not a fan of absolute social rules.

Remove ads