D&D and the rising pandemic

NotAYakk

Legend
Eh. This is perhaps not the place for long discussions of the differences between a cultural tradition of caring, and a cultural tradition of compliance and abnegation. I'll just say that maybe that assertion would hold up better if the workplace suicide rate wasn't quite so high.
The USA age standardized suicide rate is higher than Japan's. At least on Wikipedia.

And they are in a similar ballpark.

Japan's homicide rate is rounding error compared to suicide; not so much in the USA.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The USA age standardized suicide rate is higher than Japan's. At least on Wikipedia.

See also-
"Japan's total numbers place it significantly outside the top 10, but suicide is nonetheless a serious concern there. Suicide is the leading cause of death in men between the ages of 20-44 and women between the ages of 15-34."

Looking at the numbers in isolation (just population) doesn't really do it justice given that Japan's population skews so old- it really is a crisis for the young.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yeah, but I didn't claim we were a country of folks who cared about each other, either.

Japan's homicide rate is rounding error compared to.suicide; not so much in the USA.

I did not present the USA as a paragon of virtue here, so while knocking down the US on this may feel to you like it is knocking down my point, but you are attacking an unrelated strawman. Japan's workplace suicide rate is high enough to question whether it really has a culture of caring for one another, without any appearance of the US in the discussion.

And in this, we see why discussions go badly.

Thomas Shey

Legend
3) The real practical issue is that there's TONS of counterfeit KN95s on the market, while there are few counterfeit N95s. KN95s are usually cheaper than N95s.

Yeah, when I was searching I found a lot of KN95's, but looking at the reviews they all seemed dodgy.

The biggest complaint I saw about the few N95's I saw was that they seemed too small, which admittedly, as someone with a big head is a concern.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Working at my university (in the SE US), it feels odd/sad to read about the lack of tests. Faculty and students here could do pretty much an unlimited number of saliva tests with no waiting and get the results back by the next morning at latest. It's sad that folks in general don't even have a meaningful fraction of that support.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
@Umbran (and anyone else who might know/speculate off the top of their head).

I was listening to an old radio drama where there was a fictional (I think) substance that was a contact poison in its powder form, but not when it was mixed in water. So the way to use it diabolically was to carry it around diluted, paint it on what your target would touch, and then be sure not to touch it yourself after it dried. This got me thinking about cloth masks that are worn for a long time or reused without sitting several days. So, the mask does what we're hoping it does and catches the droplet with the virus because the droplet is well above the minimum size. After the droplet dries, is the virus just sitting on the mask and capable of getting inhaled through?

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ugh.
Double vaxxed and boosted. Took all reasonable precautions. Had to take a required trip for work after Xmas.

… and just tested positive for the ‘rona. 2022, everybody!

(so far, it’s like a bad cold- one day of symptoms.)
Just saw this. Hope things are still mild(or better) for you. Get well soon.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
@Umbran (and anyone else who might know/speculate off the top of their head).

I was listening to an old radio drama where there was a fictional (I think) substance that was a contact poison in its powder form, but not when it was mixed in water. So the way to use it diabolically was to carry it around diluted, paint it on what your target would touch, and then be sure not to touch it yourself after it dried. This got me thinking about cloth masks that are worn for a long time or reused without sitting several days. So, the mask does what we're hoping it does and catches the droplet with the virus because the droplet is well above the minimum size. After the droplet dries, is the virus just sitting on the mask and capable of getting inhaled through?
I am no expert at all, but I believe that if the mask fully dries, any virus on it will die. I don't think you have "dehydrated virus - just add water!"

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sheesh, we're supposed to flatten the curve on the x-axis, not the y.
TheCurve.png

Zardnaar

Legend

See also-
"Japan's total numbers place it significantly outside the top 10, but suicide is nonetheless a serious concern there. Suicide is the leading cause of death in men between the ages of 20-44 and women between the ages of 15-34."

Looking at the numbers in isolation (just population) doesn't really do it justice given that Japan's population skews so old- it really is a crisis for the young.

That's a cheery read. Thought my country would be bad as the media was sensationalizing it now they don't directly mention when it happens.

Remove ads