• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and Vocabulary

Flyspeck23

First Post
Whisper72 said:
Well, since English is not my mother tongue, I learned a great deal from the old first edition ADnD books.... it helped me get a 9 (out of 10) for my final exam grade on english...
13 out of 15 in my final exam. And all thanks to roleplaying games and comic books :)
So the list of words I learned from D&D would be too long to list here.

Bulette - that's one of the words I already knew ;)

It's good to be able to stay away from any crappy localizations (RPG, comic books, novels and movies).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Fane would be a word I can attribute to DnD.

The rest of my vocabulary was impressive prior to commencement of this particular diversion, probably as a result of extensive reading (of fantasy) during my childhood.
(and yes I do speak this way during normal conversation - which has resulted in many people saying "Bro we have no idea what you just said!")

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
cache
harlot
strumpet
comely
fracas
melee
slay
grapple
overbear
pummel
milieu

edit: dreaded gazebo

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
As others have said, or hinted at, any words I may have learned from D&D I already knew, from reading (too much?) fantasy when I was younger. :)

Tetsubo

First Post
Bloodstone Press said:
When I was in high school, I took a "vocabulary" class. One day, we did a lesson on jargon. The teacher asked us to get out a piece of paper and write down a list of words that we knew as a result of a hobby, interest or job that we had. While most people made lists of 6-8 words, I was able to make a list that ran all the way down the front of the page and onto the back. I included all sorts of words for pieces of plate armor (tassets, greaves, pauldrons, etc), I also included Charisma and Dexterity (which were new to me when I started playing at 10 years old), along with plenty of other words, many of which the teacher herself had never heard before.

As an aside, I also score extremely high on vocabulary sections of standardized tests. As a high school freshman my vocabulary was the equivalent of a sophomore in college (according to the Iowa standardized achievement test, anyway).

A rich vocabulary is something that I have received from gaming and so it’s also something that I try to give back. That's why a lot of the spells I publish have names like callithumpian discord, diaphanous shift, and Chromatic Coruscation.

I have an old unabridged Webster's dictionary, handed down to me from my mother's side of the family. It was published in the 1860s and is over 3,000 pages long. It has more cool words in it than I could ever imagine. That's where I get a lot of the words I use for spells in my published works.

In common speech I often use words like adjudicate, which results in a lot of strange looks from other people.

Get yourself a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. There is a two volume edition that comes with a magnifying glass to read the REALLY small font. It has 577,000 words in it...

dren

First Post
It's not D&D or the hobby in general that is doing this, it's the fact that you are reading, which helps to grow your vocabulary. Anything which encourages reading is a good thing. Because reading comics can lead to reading young adventure books, which can lead to reading classic sf/fantasy which can lead to reading novels and non-fiction of any kind...the higher up in that scale you go, the more your vocabulary should expand.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Without Gary, I would to this day have NEVER run into the word "milieu." :)

Other words that I learned from D&D

• expensive doxy
  • brazen strumpet
  • slovenly trull
  • cheap trollop
  • saucy tart
  • haughty courtesan
  • and every polearm name in existance EXCEPT halberd and fork.

You want to get really bad, start doing crossword puzzles. There are a bunch of words you HAVE to learn, because they show up so often. (Arete, for example, which I too learned from White Wolf.)

Ranes

Adventurer
I learned the meaning of the abbreviation q.v. from my early encounters with the PHB, in addition to that of several words already mentioned. But I distinctly remember my first encounter with 'oligarchy' being in Traveller Book 3: Worlds and Adventures.

One word I lament never having seen in an edition of D&D is 'oleaginous'. It could make itself right at home in any of the core books.

Remove ads