D&D and Vocabulary

Not to sound narcissistic, I had a pretty large vocabulary, even when I was ten and started playing D&D, so a lot of the words my friends picked up from playing it like "fortitude" and "initiative", I kind of already knew. However, there are a few words. I don't think I knew what "ethereal" and "prestidigitation" were before D&D. Other words I probably picked up from D&D are "adjacent", "falchion", "cantrip", "Ettin", and "greaves".

Crass

First Post
Henry said:
Without Gary, I would to this day have NEVER run into the word "milieu." :)

Other words that I learned from D&D

• expensive doxy
  • brazen strumpet
  • slovenly trull
  • cheap trollop
  • saucy tart
  • haughty courtesan
  • and every polearm name in existance EXCEPT halberd and fork.
But for a fun exercise, can you use them all in one paragraph? :D I would challenge Henry to use his earlier list - quoted above - in one paragraph, or Diaglo to use his earlier list:

cache
harlot
strumpet
comely
fracas
melee
slay
grapple
overbear
pummel
milieu

Either of these lists - also some of the ones I have NOT quoted - would make for interesting reading.

Chris Parker

First Post
stevelabny said:
i game. i read comics. i read fantasy. i always wind up with at least one word i expect everyone to know and they dont

one day i told the joke "a vulture walks onto a plane carrying two dead weasels and the stewardess says ' i'm sorry sir, only one carri-on per person'" and THREE people told me they didnt know what the word carrion meant.

i was stunned.

Its alright, I sat next to a girl Fall of 2003 (in an English class, no less) who didnt know what the word Minor meant. Had a bit of trouble remembering that one... odd too, cuz it scared me when she said it.

Everyone else, too. They just stared, with a gaping mouth. Cept the teacher, the look on her face was a bit more of a gaping, disbelieving stupor as the sanity was being drained from her.

Interesting thing was, that girl graduated with me yesterday. Now how am I 'sposed to feel accomplished about having graduated if she can walk with me? (with all logical stereotypes you can extrapolate from that bit I told you standing true, of course)

~Chris.

Westwind

First Post
A long time ago when I was taking the SAT the last question in the Verbal analolgy section depended on you knowing the word "prestidigitation." Although DnD has been good for developing my vocabulary, I've found that in terms of practical application, Vampire is better. I'll actually use words like protean and obfuscate as a grad student, and while I did learn the word melee by playing DnD (and pronounced it mee-lee until I was 10 or 12), it's not something you drop in everyday conversation. But I did manage to score with "ogress" in a Scrabble game, so maybe there is some application...

diaglo

Adventurer
Crass said:
cache
harlot
strumpet
comely
fracas
melee
slay
grapple
overbear
pummel
milieu

i think part of my list was included in Hamlet and later became a play of in its own right. The first professional production of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead was given on April 11, 1967 at the Old Vic Theatre, London, by the National Theatre Company. It was directed by Derek Goldby and designed by Desmond Heeley.

and later became a movie with Gary Oldman in 1990.

the scene is on the ship to England from Denmark with Hamlet's two "friends".

there is a lot of fondling and groping aka hidden messages in the text. ;)

Dogbrain

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
I believe its boo-LAY.

Not if it's French, which is what I presume you're getting your error from. "-ette" is always fairly close to the end of "get" in English.

It's like people pronouncing "le fer" ("the sword") as "lay fayyyyr" just because it's "French", when a much closer pronunciation would be akin to "luh fer".

Remove ads