D&D General D&D Art across the editions

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Actually, the 5e demons and devils in the monster manual are some of my favourites. I think actually most of the art in the monster books/sections are quite high quality.

dave2008

Legend
Actually, the 5e demons and devils in the monster manual are some of my favourites. I think actually most of the art in the monster books/sections are quite high quality.
In general I agree with you, but I think there are some clunkers too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Again, very hit and miss for me. The gnolls? Great. The Sphinx? Meh.
Oh the subjectivity of art. I really quite like the look of the sphinx. The gnoll artwork is definitely excellent. They managed to get a crazy look in their eye.

In general I agree with you, but I think there are some clunkers too.
Oh there definitely are a few there that I think aren't very good, but on the whole I think it is filled with a lot of really well done artwork.

Edit: Actually, after a quick perusal, I'm not sure if there are any that I would consider really bad. There are some that are of better quality than others, but on the whole, I don't see any terrible art in there.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Aw, jeez. Y'all are no fun. This is the internet.

If you don't like something, it is garbage. Trash. Probably even a dumpster fire. If you like something, it is the greatest of all time.

Here's an example of how you are supposed to do it:

Nicolas Cage is not just a good actor, but, perhaps, the greatest thespian that American has ever produced; he is akin to the perfection of Paradise Lost; something so perfect it might as well close out the artform forever.

Wayne Reynolds, on the other hand, is a pox upon this country. His so-called art is like the unloved child of Rob Liefeld's discarded anatomy studies and Bob Ross's "angry cloud" period. He couldn't draw a straight line if you spotted him a pencil and a straightedge, and his characters have more unneeded bad spikes than a Buffy fan cosplay convention.

See? That's how you do it!
Well it’s easy when it’s objectively true statements!

Joking, of course. Wayne Reynolds is pretty good, actually.

dave2008

Legend
Edit: Actually, after a quick perusal, I'm not sure if there are any that I would consider really bad. There are some that are of better quality than others, but on the whole, I don't see any terrible art in there.
Its been a while since I looked through the whole book, but that is my recollection as well. However, there are definitely some pieces I am not found of. I really don't like the 5e pit fiend for example.

Remove ads