D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
As I recall, she did more to publicly defend and legitimize Zak than Mike Mearls did, albeit in a position of less prominence.
One of the twitter accusers has her, during her time working for WotC, ignoring a complaint about a male abuser associated with the company, and continuing to publicly associate with alleged abuser after the complaint. The abuser's name isn't given in the twitter thread that I could see. I wonder whether this is is referring to Zak, or yet another abuser.

This is a really bad look for Hasbro/WotC if it turns out that for a few years, Mike Mearls was inviting all his creepy rapey friends to work on D&D with him. Is there another abuser other than Zak that Satine was sheltering? Are there other people like Satine, Zak and Mearls who are still lurking in WotC or at adjacent third party publishers?

Ondath

Hero
I thought Mearls was experimenting with things like getting rid of bonus actions and short rests and stuff before he departed. I'm not sure the game would not have gone in the direction it has had he stayed.
That's true! But I think the direction the changes took could have been different. To me, the post-Tasha design team doesn't seem like a team that finally grokked the capabilities of their engine and is now pushing it to its limit, it rather looks like a situation where the old guard that designed the original engine departed, and the new guard started tinkering with a lot of stuff and made some changes without realising why some things were designed the way they were. Take the shift from ability modifier/day to PB/day uses, for instance. I'd argue one reason proficiency bonus was never used in things like use limits was because it stealthily buffs multiclassing, which can already lead to a lot of cheese. By tying the use count of an ability to the class's prime ability score, you're making sure that a multiclassing character gets slightly less uses for their secondary class abilities. By tying use count to proficiency bonus, we've made use scale entirely off of character level, and that allows multiclassing to have access to more uses of an ability.

Of course, we can never know what the design team thought at a given moment, but I'd bet my money that the designers wanted to streamline class ability use counts and picked proficiency bonus as a nice metric that scales without much issue without thinking about the ramifications it would have on multiclassing.

ECMO3

Hero
Uncool, unfair and reaching.

Phoenix and Stone's toxic behaviors have only recently come to light, and neither have been directly involved with WotC, and I think CR, in recent times. I'm sure some individuals within both organizations knew of their behaviors to some degree . . . but to tar either company or any individuals within those companies without any evidence of wrongdoing . . . well, that's pretty toxic also.
WOTC has faced its own criticisms and scandals ... although they were largely ignored by the fans.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That's true! But I think the direction the changes took could have been different. To me, the post-Tasha design team doesn't seem like a team that finally grokked the capabilities of their engine and is now pushing it to its limit, it rather looks like a situation where the old guard that designed the original engine departed, and the new guard started tinkering with a lot of stuff and made some changes without realising why some things were designed the way they were. Take the shift from ability modifier/day to PB/day uses, for instance. I'd argue one reason proficiency bonus was never used in things like use limits was because it stealthily buffs multiclassing, which can already lead to a lot of cheese. By tying the use count of an ability to the class's prime ability score, you're making sure that a multiclassing character gets slightly less uses for their secondary class abilities. By tying use count to proficiency bonus, we've made use scale entirely off of character level, and that allows multiclassing to have access to more uses of an ability.

Of course, we can never know what the design team thought at a given moment, but I'd bet my money that the designers wanted to streamline class ability use counts and picked proficiency bonus as a nice metric that scales without much issue without thinking about the ramifications it would have on multiclassing.
JC was the lead mechanics designer throughout 5e.

Your specific example is definitely not a result of him not understanding why the phb he wrote did things differently.

Edit: as for your bet, I find it needlessly insulting to the designers. Further, it’s extremely unlikely. It’s more likely that it just simplifies the game and makes multiclassing less painful and annoying, which they view as a good thing, while also making it easier to design stuff that doesn’t pull MAD characters further toward MADness.

It’s very good design.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For those of you who were saying upthread that you didn't think that public apologies work, does this change your mind at all?

Why would it? What Lizzo did wasn't just an apology. She rerecorded the song with the offending lyric removed. That's not just an apology - that's remediation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I literally just watched a YouTube video yesterday about how JK Simmons' character in Whiplash uses exactly that technique to abuse poor, innocent Miles Teller, congrats on being literally Hollywood villains y'all
Yeah, just mentioning that movie makes some people I know want to vomit, it's sadly not even an exaggerated depiction.

pukunui

Legend
Why would it? What Lizzo did wasn't just an apology. She rerecorded the song with the offending lyric removed. That's not just an apology - that's remediation.
Because it's an example of what everyone has been talking about - apologizing and then changing your behavior. As you say, she rerecorded her song. She could have chosen to apologize but not change the lyric. She could have said, "Sorry, I'll remember not to use that word in the future" and maybe not sung it in live performances. But no, she actually went through the expense and effort of rerecording the song to delete one word. She listened and made a change.

It would be like if Satine had actually owned up to her behavior and then immediately made sure all her outstanding debts were paid.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Are you saying that Zak Smith and/or Satine Phoenix convinced WotC to blacklist EN World?
No, two thoughts joined by analogy: I don't know what Morrus & Co. did to get on WotC naughty list, but apparently they are.

Separately, both Zak's and Satine's activity included convincing WotC that their enemies were problematic and needed to be on the blacklist...successfully, at least for a time.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
This is what happens when you commericialize games far too much. Wish it was the TSR days, minus the mismanagement and lack of social progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads