D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Uncool, unfair and reaching.

Phoenix and Stone's toxic behaviors have only recently come to light, and neither have been directly involved with WotC, and I think CR, in recent times. I'm sure some individuals within both organizations knew of their behaviors to some degree . . . but to tar either company or any individuals within those companies without any evidence of wrongdoing . . . well, that's pretty toxic also.

One of the accusations specifically mentions actions by Satine during her employment with WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's a difficult position to be in as consumers who do not want to condone unethical behaviour, but I kinda feel the same. To me, it looks like the pivot in 5E's design happened largely at the same time as Mearls's "promotion" to a role out of the spotlight, and while Crawford was always a co-lead designer, it seemed to me like Mearls was in charge of the conceptualisation (designing the barebones mechanics and flavour of abilities etc.) and Crawford was in charge of balancing things (making sure stuff that Mearls designed was not mathematically OP) and writing them in a strict language. I don't know if Crawford took the conceptualisation portfolio or someone else took that job, but the push for replacing short rests with PB/day, ignoring earlier restrictions such as no DC increasing magic items for spellcasters and an overall shift in class design seems tied to Mearls's departure. Zak is clearly a terrible person and the way Mearls handled that situation was yikes, but damn it I miss books like Xanathar's and Volo's.
That's sort of an awful takeaway, and probably not even accurate a out the game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the twitter accusers has her, during her time working for WotC, ignoring a complaint about a male abuser associated with the company, and continuing to publicly associate with alleged abuser after the complaint. The abuser's name isn't given in the twitter thread that I could see. I wonder whether this is is referring to Zak, or yet another abuser.

This is a really bad look for Hasbro/WotC if it turns out that for a few years, Mike Mearls was inviting all his creepy rapey friends to work on D&D with him. Is there another abuser other than Zak that Satine was sheltering? Are there other people like Satine, Zak and Mearls who are still lurking in WotC or at adjacent third party publishers?
Satine's "contract ended" with wotC at coincidentally the same time that the Zak situation really blew up in Mearls face.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
He makes the common mistake of confusing motivations with moral complicity. Just because he "meant well" doesn't mean he didn't contribute materially to an abusive situation.
Exactly. While I was upset when the Zac thing happened and Mike couldn’t even make a public statement of condemnation and apology for helping this person rise in the TTRPG space, I wasn’t surprised.

It’s easy to tell bigots and gatekeepers to gtfo when your game community is steadily trending more progressive, queer, female, and culturally diverse. Not as easy to stand up and say, “This guy was a friend, and I wish I’d seen how bad he was, and I’m sorry that I helped him build a prominent place in our community”.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's true! But I think the direction the changes took could have been different. To me, the post-Tasha design team doesn't seem like a team that finally grokked the capabilities of their engine and is now pushing it to its limit, it rather looks like a situation where the old guard that designed the original engine departed, and the new guard started tinkering with a lot of stuff and made some changes without realising why some things were designed the way they were. Take the shift from ability modifier/day to PB/day uses, for instance. I'd argue one reason proficiency bonus was never used in things like use limits was because it stealthily buffs multiclassing, which can already lead to a lot of cheese. By tying the use count of an ability to the class's prime ability score, you're making sure that a multiclassing character gets slightly less uses for their secondary class abilities. By tying use count to proficiency bonus, we've made use scale entirely off of character level, and that allows multiclassing to have access to more uses of an ability.

Of course, we can never know what the design team thought at a given moment, but I'd bet my money that the designers wanted to streamline class ability use counts and picked proficiency bonus as a nice metric that scales without much issue without thinking about the ramifications it would have on multiclassing.
Maybe they plan to get rid of multi-tasking in 2024. It would meanjust cutting a few pages of variant rules. They never take multiclassing into account for balance, as it stands.

Crawford was the Sage the entire time: he knows the intent behind the rules, and heads up the team working on the rules.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Satine's "contract ended" with wotC at coincidentally the same time that the Zak situation really blew up in Mearls face.
They were definitely using contractors rather than FT employees in both Satine and Lysa's era.
Now it's FT employees.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Exactly. While I was upset when the Zac thing happened and Mike couldn’t even make a public statement of condemnation and apology for helping this person rise in the TTRPG space, I wasn’t surprised.

It’s easy to tell bigots and gatekeepers to gtfo when your game community is steadily trending more progressive, queer, female, and culturally diverse. Not as easy to stand up and say, “This guy was a friend, and I wish I’d seen how bad he was, and I’m sorry that I helped him build a prominent place in our community”.
Part of what was so weird about the situation is that they really weren't friends: Mearls was just confident of his own righteousness and ability to suss out the truth...a misplaced confidence, as it happened.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They were definitely using contractors rather than FT employees in both Satine and Lysa's era.
Now it's FT employees.
Yeah...but of the 2018 situation Lusa is describing was Zak, and Satine covered for him, that would make sense that she would take the fall with WotC when it caused them trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads