D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The multiclass-lite feats would make a lot of sense in that context.

For those keeping score, that’s another thing 4e already got right that it’s taken 5e a decade to re-learn.
It's really a variant rule that WotC has paid no explicit attention to or given any support in 8 years.

Ondath

Hero
That's sort of an awful takeaway, and probably not even accurate a out the game.
I mean, the whole point of my comment was that I felt ethically conflicted about that feeling I had. But perhaps I should not and just reject my nostalgia given that people disagree with my observation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, the whole point of my comment was that I felt ethically conflicted about that feeling I had. But perhaps I should not and just reject my nostalgia given that people disagree with my observation.
It doesn't really reflect the realities of the design direction, though.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
After reading this gem of a Twitter thread
I can't help but wonder: why in the nine hells are people putting up with this sort of behavior?
I can only imagine that Katie and Tristan are thoroughly nice and trusting folk, and must have clearly wondered if they accidentally joined a recording of Candid Camera...
Yeah that thread is hard to read. I kept eating for the “and then I told them to get thier own snacks, reminded them that I hired them, not the other way around, and sat down and ate a sandwich in front of them and ignored them for twenty minutes”. Like…how!?

Part of what was so weird about the situation is that they really weren't friends: Mearls was just confident of his own righteousness and ability to suss out the truth...a misplaced confidence, as it happened.
That’s fair. But he was such a jerk about it, I’m not really down to give him the benefit of the doubt.
we follow them happily into the yawning abyss.
Who is “we”? Who is “following” any celebrities in the TTRPG space?

Like…you know that enjoying watching Dimension20 and watching Brennan talk with other D&D creators and DMs about the game, and life, and art, doesn’t inherently put him on a pedestal, or mean I follow all his advice (Mercer would be a better example there. He does a lot of stuff I wouldn’t do as a DM, but I love watching him and his crew play), or “follow” him into anything, much less any overwrought “abyss”.

Just a thought: It’s generally best to be skeptical of any impulse or mode of thought you have that leads to you feeling superior to other people to the point where you post long-winded and over-dramatic rants about “sheeples”.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Also, Professional DM just sounds so weird.
Yeah, I do hate how the commodification of attention has pushed people towards monetizing more and more of what previously would have been their leisure time. Capitalism will not be satisfied until 100% of our time is devoted to production.

Eh, who am I kidding, it won’t be satisfied then either.

teitan

Legend
Yeah, I do hate how the commodification of attention has pushed people towards monetizing more and more of what previously would have been their leisure time. Capitalism will not be satisfied until 100% of our time is devoted to production.

Eh, who am I kidding, it won’t be satisfied then either.
I intensely dislike “influencer” culture in general myself having watched social media influencer nearly rip an organization I am a member of apart with their behavior and people not being willing to call them out for their abuse until they put people’s lives and jobs (including my own) on the line because of one of them having a debased and overly inflated sense of self importance in regard to their position in the movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads