D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The new was published in other place, and I found interesting this comment.

I suspect today D&D is most popular than ever, and the community is bigger, lots of people have joined, but also there are some "black sheeps" or "rotten appels", and these could cause a serious damage against the prestige of the brand.
That comment is so off base it's wild to read.

but yes, the bigger the scene gets, the more opportunists will take advantage of it.

I rather liked B Dave Walter's comment on Satine. She's very much in the Satine business. Were she not abusive about it, fair enough. Since she is, she can kick rocks.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
The new was published in other place, and I found interesting this comment.

"The TTRPG scene is far more toxic today than it's ever been. Much of the toxicity we see comes from people like this, people who claim to be making the space safer and more inclusive. The opposite is true. I've been playing ttrpg's for 40 years, gatekeeping has never been the problem that it is now. And it's being led by people like this."
This is demonstrably, laughably false, and speaks from a perspective that had never been made to feel unwelcome in ttrpgs for 40 years and never once considered the perspectives of different people who had been excluded for decades from many, many, spaces. I can't see how this is a vaguely justifiable take outside politically motivated schadenfreude.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Lol love that song... just curious what are you referring to?
"I saw your blog post. It was really fantastic. That was sarcastic. Because you write like a spastic."

I absolutely love this entire song and the video... except for that line. (I'd heard that it was a slur on people with epilepsy, not people with cerebral palsy, but either way.)

Oofta

Legend
WOTC has faced its own criticisms and scandals ... although they were largely ignored by the fans.
Shocking news: big corporations aren't perfect. They also sometimes employ people who are accused of doing bad things*. Also shocking: sometimes people don't believe their friends are capable of being evil, and can overlook evidence to the contrary because they find it hard to believe that someone they personally know could be that horrible.

*I'm not weighing in on the validity of the accusations one way or another, although I tend to believe the accuser(s).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
"I saw your blog post. It was really fantastic. That was sarcastic. Because you write like a spastic."

I absolutely love this entire song and the video... except for that line. (I'd heard that it was a slur on people with epilepsy, not people with cerebral palsy, but either way.)
My understanding is that "spaz" is, at least in the UK, roughly equivalent to how we'd use the "r" word in the US.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I had someone on reddit recently scream at me because I said I don't get paid DMs, because it meant that I was greedy and wanted someone's hard labor for free.
See, this is what I was driving at. DMing didn’t used to be thought of as labor. It was, at best, a hobby. But in the attention economy, it inarguably is labor. Professional DMs, while a weird concept, are doing work and have every right to charge for that work. But it’s a messed up system that pressures people to turn their hobbies into work in order to get paid. Also there’s nothing wrong with preferring not to hire paid DMs, whoever said this to you is completely wrongheaded about it. If you hired someone to DM for pay and then didn’t pay them that would be one thing, but just choosing not to hire anyone to DM for pay is perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases