D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...
Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I suppose everyone will have to decide for themselves whether S&J are sufficiently remorseful and deserve yet another chance. This would be Satine's third chance, by my count, and Jamison's second (for me, he sort of came out of nowhere last year, but I well-remember how she supported Zak S. right up until the last minute and I even have a friend with receipts for the harassment mob she sent toward him).

For me, I want nothing to do with any future projects she's involved in (or him, for that matter... not that anything he's said or done on his own really appeals to me). The bridge has been burnt. I'm too old and grumpy to give people multiple chance to not be jerks. There's plenty of other creators out there I can give my money to.

The thing I just shrug about "cancel culture" is that it really seems to me to highlight the difference between those of us who didn't grow up with social media, and the ones that do. Because when you think about it... what is "cancelling"? It is people telling someone "We aren't going to let you be famous anymore."

That's it. That's the punishment. They don't want to see or hear about you online. There's no other forfeiture-- the person doesn't lose any of their money, the person doesn't go to prison, the person doesn't suffer anything physically... nothing like any of that. All it is is "you can't be famous".

I think for famous people this may be the case. Most famous people can probably weather a cancelation financially because they will still find an audience even if they are deprived of a larger one. But canceling for people who aren't famous, are just internet famous, or simply using social media to market business or a service that is career ending to people, and can impact future employment, family life, personal life with friends, etc. Social media is a powerful tool and businesses use it when they are hiring. A public canceling of someone who is not famous or who has some minor internet celebrity in a niche area, can easily result in that person not finding employment or having tremendous difficulty finding employment. It certainly can impact their ability to find work in that field, but it can extend to totally unrelated fields because companies don't want to hire someone who has a stain like that on social media (and people have been known to contact employers of regular working folks when a person has a political or cultural opinion they don't like for example). So it can literally mean loss of ability to food and house oneself. I live in the US, where the safety net isn't going to protect you from that kind of loss of employment. So I am not a fan anytime things move in the direction of going after peoples' livelihoods (which cancelation campaigns frequently have the effect of)

Retreater

Legend
I never followed her to begin with. I hope only that this fiasco helps the freelancers get paid and treated better (since I'm a freelancer I do have a stake in the industry as a whole.) I also hope this gets the project fulfilled for all the backers (since I also back a lot of things on Kickstarter).
I hope this has a ripple effect on the industry. If two big names can get called out, maybe other designers who aren't as well known will see this as a wake-up call (assuming they need one).
But I agree with others here. Both of these people need to back away and get the help they need. I think some degree of public accountability can be helpful, but let's not go overboard as a community.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I didn't think ADHD could be so bad.

Reading articles like this has downplayed the severity for me :
"Of the 6.4 million kids who have been given diagnoses of A.D.H.D., a large percentage are unlikely to have any kind of physiological difference that would make them more distractible than the average non-A.D.H.D. kid. It’s also doubtful that biological or environmental changes are making physiological differences more prevalent. Instead, the rapid increase in people with A.D.H.D. probably has more to do with sociological factors — changes in the way we school our children, in the way we interact with doctors and in what we expect from our kids."
It was super over-diagnosed in kids and medication for it was over-prescribed in the 80s and 90s, but it is very much a real thing, which can be very debilitating for some people.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
This whole mess made me wonder, is there somewhere there is a description for freelancers in the RPG industry to read about what they should expect sort of generally when being employed? I'm not thinking of pay rates or such, just basics about what treatment are you to expect as a mimimun, what are the most common things to look out for and things like that.

That could help people being abused recognise it early on, instead of chalking it up to business practice.

I didn't think ADHD could be so bad.

Reading articles like this has downplayed the severity for me :
"Of the 6.4 million kids who have been given diagnoses of A.D.H.D., a large percentage are unlikely to have any kind of physiological difference that would make them more distractible than the average non-A.D.H.D. kid. It’s also doubtful that biological or environmental changes are making physiological differences more prevalent. Instead, the rapid increase in people with A.D.H.D. probably has more to do with sociological factors — changes in the way we school our children, in the way we interact with doctors and in what we expect from our kids."

That article is from 8 years ago. Do you know how much has changed about our understanding of mental health in general, and ADHD specifically, since then?

Because when you think about it... what is "cancelling"? It is people telling someone "We aren't going to let you be famous anymore."
It's also "The book I haven't actually read shouldn't be published" and "You should be fired" and "You should not be allowed to speak on campus" ad nauseum. That's not to say the government should step in and "do something about this" (freedom of association is a thing, too), but internet culture evolved into this and it would be nice if it evolved out of it someday.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It's also "The book I haven't actually read shouldn't be published" and "You should be fired" and "You should not be allowed to speak on campus" ad nauseum. That's not to say the government should step in and "do something about this" (freedom of association is a thing, too), but internet culture evolved into this and it would be nice if it evolved out of it someday.
That isn't internet culture. That is all stuff that has been going on my entire life. Trying to get people fired for their politics or to protest a public speaker - especially at universities - has been going on in this country for decades - at least back into the 80s if not earlier. And those of us old enough to remember the Satanic Panic around D&D might actually remember some book burnings protesting books that the burners thought "shouldn't be published" - and those were going on before D&D and continued going on after.

What's changed is that it's all very much more public now. And much more "democratized". For example, 35 years ago if there was a student protest over a speaker at some small liberal arts college in Ohio you wouldn't have heard about it even if you lived up the road from them unless it was literally the president of the US that they were protesting. It might have merited a blurb on page 6 of a newspaper on a slow news day. Now it's the number 1 story on a hundred different websites trying to fill a 24 hour news cycle even if it's just some nobody and "everyone" is supposed to have an opinion on it and it all feeds into some ongoing narrative about how the world is going to heck. Instead of protesting just being a thing that college students do because they don't have any power to do anything else.

This was 2019, well after the game had exploded and they were hiring up. She left a few weeks after Mearls final social media activity trying to cover his butt over the mishandling of the Zak S. situation. Then, the women accusing Satine of mishandling accusations against an abuser working with WotC takes over rhe position immediately.

Was a one year contract.

Started in 2018 and the company was commonly using 1 year term contracts then.

Contract term ended.

I do not see anything other than the contract ending in the timing of when she left. Next community manager was a one year contract as well.

That isn't internet culture. That is all stuff that has been going on my entire life.
No one is saying social shaming is new -- I've said that explicitly. But if you haven't noticed the way it's manifested in internet culture, I don't really know what to tell you. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads