D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Director/Cast Interviews begin as marketing ramps up!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If it does blow up though comments like thst will alienate about 30-40% of the domestic market which is the most important one for movie box office returns.
No, it won't. It's just not that kind of movie. If people who like to see people with weapons and zaps kill monsters and steal stuff and make snarky remarks, they will see this movie regardless of their feelings about that comment. It's just not the type of movie vulnerable to that kind of controversy from an interview comment. Don't let the internet convince you everyone is actually willing to boycott stuff at the drop of a hat. Boycotts require sacrifice and no meaningful numbers of people are sacrificing their entertainment (if the movie is otherwise their thing) over that comment.

Zardnaar

Legend
No, it won't. It's just not that kind of movie.

No idea all I'm claiming is the potential is there for it to happen.

Mostly I think it's fairly stupid declaring absolutes eg movie will flop or will be big hit.

Even trending predictions are notoriously unreliable.

We'll know roughly in two weeks first weekend and it will be definitive week 2.

M_Natas

Hero
I think the comment about emasculating and not being woke was stupid, too.
But for me it's more from the left. Why are those directors scrambling ro tell anybody that they are not woke? Why trying to distance themselves from that?

I mean, I know why they are doing it but that only means this guys try to appease the tucker carlson/fox news crowd, which I find stupid, because that is also the satanic panic crowd, just 20/30 years later.

At the moment I think the Movie will make somewhere between 100 to 150 million domestic.l if othing will change anymore.

But, if the Festival premiere on the 10th of March will be very good and the reception will be good, it can go over 200 million.

But it all depends of the quality of the movie and if it strikes a chord with movie goers.

And I think it could. It is a light hearted fantasy adventure, in stark contrast to Game of Thrones or even Ring of Powers who takes themselves way to seriously. While at the same time, what I saw from the trailers so far, the movie is not silly. It is light hearted but not one of those stupid comedies. So I think that it could resonate with the movie goers, who want something lighthearted but also something different.
I mean, if you want light hearted action, there is only the marvel movies at the moment. And people get tired of them.

So it has the right timing to be a hit. Now it just needs the quality to become one. And we'll se after the 10th if it has that quality.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think if it bombs that comment by the directors will be a component of why. You have to know your audience
The people who wouldn't see this movie because the directors used a big word that they don't know the meaning of are the people who wouldn't see this movie because the barbarian woman isn't wearing a chainmail bikini.

They're not the ones that grew D&D for the past ten years. They're not D&D's audience

It's not that important a comment. Almost nobody is going to even hear the comment, much less care that much about it. It sure isn't going to impact how many people see or don't see the movie in a meaningful way. I mean, people are not going to reddit or youtube to look up interview comments about a movie they have not seen. This is nothing like the OGL issue.
Comments on antman special effects clearly were a factor. If word of mouth after opening day confirms then if 2 will bomb

Mistwell

Comments on antman special effects clearly were a factor. If word of mouth after opening day confirms then if 2 will bomb
There are dozens of movies prior to Antman 3 which set specific expectations from existing movie goers of that franchise who go out to seek that kind of information about Antman. And even with that Antman 3 had a big opening weekend (biggest opening of the series so far) - higher than normal drop off seems to be in reaction to people reporting back from opening weekend, not news of special effects from articles before release. (and I liked Antman 3 by the way).

There are none for D&D for the overwhelming majority of likely viewers. Nobody is looking even for interviews with directors on this one to judge if they're going to see it or not - except us hardcore D&D people or people who saw that interview live.

Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill. I swear I am starting to sense either hoped for failure, or preparation for disappointment because of the prior movies coloring people's predictions on this one. I mean, HSX is absolutely wrong sometimes, but it also represents a much more generalized (and expertise-driven) view on movies. And it's predicting way better results than I think anyone in this thread has predicted.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
There are dozens of movies prior to Antman 3 which set specific expectations from existing movie goers of that franchise who go out to seek that kind of information about Antman. And even with that Antman 3 had a big opening weekend (biggest opening of the series so far) - higher than normal drop off seems to be in reaction to people reporting back from opening weekend, not news of special effects from articles before release. (and I liked Antman 3 by the way).

There are none for D&D for the overwhelming majority of likely viewers. Nobody is looking even for interviews with directors on this one to judge if they're going to see it or not - except us hardcore D&D people or people who saw that interview live.

Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill. I swear I am starting to sense either hoped for failure, or preparation for disappointment because of the prior movies coloring people's predictions on this one. I mean, HSX is absolutely wrong sometimes, but it also represents a much more generalized (and expertise-driven) view on movies. And it's predicting way better results than I think anyone in this thread has predicted.

HSX is the one predicting 400-450 million?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
HSX is the one predicting 400-450 million?
No, they're predicting a rather low $23,000,000 – $30,000,000 domestic open.

Despite one of their cons thinking that this is a male dominated film targeting mostly males as the other movies released in March are. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the cast and modern D&D.

Mistwell

Despite one of their cons thinking that this is a male dominated film targeting mostly males as the other movies released in March are. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the cast and modern D&D.
My read of the HSX number is $218M over first four weeks domestic, which translates to $109M opening weekend domestic (half the total is predicted as the opening weekend). It's the buy cost x 2.7, in millions. Buy cost was I think around $81 last I checked.

Zardnaar

Legend

Maybe we will see. Think people are over estimating the number of D&D players an how many will go to the movie.

We still see things like 40 million players only need to go once and pay $10.

Thats 40 million ever who played not current players. And a lot of D&D players are indifferent to the movie.

I've seen how trajectory predictions come up short how often do they underestimate a movies take?

Remove ads