D&D 5E D&D Inclusivity for People with Disabilities

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Again, the trick is, not everyone is an Olympic level athlete. Most amputees generally aren't - kinda like how most of us aren't either.

And, @Northern Phoenix's point is well made. If the "disability" is actually an advantage, well, it's not really a disability is it?

I'm not so sure. Having extremely good prosthetics might give you some advantages with running etc, but you are still missing your freaking legs. Your life isn't the same even though your more or less on a similar functional level to everyone else. People don't look at you the same. You paid a fortune for your legs. God forbid someone steal your prosthetic legs. You've still got a whole slew of issues non-disabled's don't. So I dunno. I kind of think that would still be a disability even if your mostly able to function at non-disabled levels.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
Sorry I misread the table.

The silver medals were from the International Association of Athletics Federations World Championship and from the African Championships in Athletics.

This is still better than the vast majority of people who have their legs could do. He's still competing on an international level and placing.

His prosthetic are made for running on a safe track, they have noticeably worse function in the wide variety of other situations normal legs work better. And regular people can wear "blades" and get even better results. So that guy specifically is still disabled.

And again, i don't mind disabled characters and i don't mind characters that recover from disability. I do mind characters that circumnavigate a "disability" and pretend to still be disabled.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
His prosthetic are made for running on a safe track, they have noticeably worse function in the wide variety of other situations normal legs work better. And regular people can wear "blades" and get even better results. So that guy specifically is still disabled.

And again, i don't mind disabled characters and i don't mind characters that recover from disability. I do mind characters that circumnavigate a "disability" and pretend to still be disabled.

if you think the are circumnavigating it then all you are focused on is combat numbers. There’s 1000x more to a disability than having an item that lets you perform a task or a few tasks almost like normal.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
if you think the are circumnavigating it then all you are focused on is combat numbers. There’s 1000x more to a disability than having an item that lets you perform a task or a few tasks almost like normal.

I'm glad you agree? Hence the difference between real life people and characters like Daredevil, Cyborg, and so on.

MGibster

Legend
In some of the martial arts movies made in Asia depicting blind warriors, sometimes the blindness is still a handicap. In Ninja Scroll, the blind swordsman Mujuro is defeated when he falls prey to a quirk of the battlefield that a sighted person would have noticed. Then there's Master of the Flying Guillotine, where our one-armed hero takes advantage of his opponent's blindness by setting up the field of battle to his advantage.

God forbid someone steal your prosthetic legs.

This is an issue that I have sometimes struggled with in D&D even without disabilities brought into the mix. I like the option to have PCs be captured and stripped of equipment, or be tracked by a mystical thief who steals things from them, or just plain caught without their weapons sometimes. But if you have a character that is specialized around their ancestral sword, or even just a wizard that needs his spellbook to prepare spells in the morning, taking away equipment quickly goes from inconvenient to debilitating (and/or undermining by the DM, depending on your point of view).

Having a PC with prosthetic legs amplifies this issue exponentially. Now stealing loot from the party or sundering equipment might mean a character literally cannot walk. The only options I see are to accept that one character is going to be extremely unequally punished in these scenarios, obsequiously avoiding these scenarios altogether, or giving the prosthesis epic level plot armor.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
This is an issue that I have sometimes struggled with in D&D even without disabilities brought into the mix. I like the option to have PCs be captured and stripped of equipment, or be tracked by a mystical thief who steals things from them, or just plain caught without their weapons sometimes. But if you have a character that is specialized around their ancestral sword, or even just a wizard that needs his spellbook to prepare spells in the morning, taking away equipment quickly goes from inconvenient to debilitating (and/or undermining by the DM, depending on your point of view).

Having a PC with prosthetic legs amplifies this issue exponentially. Now stealing loot from the party or sundering equipment might mean a character literally cannot walk. The only options I see are to accept that one character is going to be extremely unequally punished in these scenarios, obsequiously avoiding these scenarios altogether, or giving the prosthesis epic level plot armor.
A recurring villain knows the PC's weakness, steals his prosthetics (or just one if he wants to be an insufferable jerk) and uses it as bait to draw the rest of the group into a trap. Villains-du-jour will not know enough about Our Heroes to think of this or try it.
I think this can become a teambuilding scenario, not only a 'DM yanking Fred's chains' event: the group puts themselves on the line to make Fred whole.

Remove ads