D&D is awesome

ALL DnD is AWESOME

I entirely agree with the OP. Haven't posted in this before but thought I would add my 2c (without even reading it, I know tut tut). I love DnD...
BECMI was my first love and was played without much reference to the rules but a lot of fun.
1E was a more serious relationship, and my first intro to DMing...aahhh the percentage roll for the type of prostitute encountered, can't beat it.
2E, to me, just streamlined 1E to a certain extent and we finally all liked the 'cleric', well speciality priests. The most flavoursome class out, I think I made about 20 odd classes for my gods. 2E also intro'd me to FR, and I still like it now.
3E brought me back to DnD, I was at work so DnD fell by the wayside but the enthusiasm of a new edition started me up again. If I only ever played modules I would have very few gripes as a DM, our characters rarely topped level 8 or so anyway.
4E has brought me back (again) to DMing, it is so much easier and I have the time to do it -even being a parent:) It also brought back a couple of (wargamey/tactical type) friends of mine.

Oh and DnD is not the only neat game by any stretch!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
There are many rpgs I prefer to D&D.

That said, I enjoyed playing an OD&D one-shot this past summer, and I still like to read the 1e AD&D books for Mr Gygax's purple prose.

You missed "Because it's AWESOME!" on the end of that sentence. ;)

Finding old ENWorld threads about other things to do in encounter set up than "Kill 'Em All!" is AWESOME!

Megaton

First Post
Totally agree about Gary Gygax, that guy knows his stuff.

You guys used the Dark Eye at all in addition to D and D? This wasn't one that I had used in the past, but I saw that it's going to be the basis for Drakensang, which comes out February 24.

D&D is... OK. In it's best edition. It's never awesome to me. Every edition has had niggling problems that I have problems getting over. In some editions, those problems were so bad that I looked outside the D&D aegis for something that doesn't bother me so much. Other editions have successfully brought me back, but they've never made me really feel completely at home.

That said, I haven't yet found the Holy Grail system that doesn't have some problems, so we end up playing D&D of (luckily for me) my favorite edition of D&D more often than not, and I'm OK with that.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Curse you for braeking the pattern where every post uses the word awesome to positively describe something!;)

humour threads on ENworld are awesome!

Remove ads