Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Too... many... jokes...

Overloading...

~collapses on the ground frothing at the mouth~
310671685_623949895945282_4150092949519589384_n.jpg

Aldarc

Legend
I have to wonder why you wouldn't just pour a little corn syrup & vanilla extract into the whiskey, though. But there's more to candy corn than just those two things, of course.
My own preference is to use maple syrup for my Old Fashioned's. I find that the maple flavor blends well with the bourbon and the orange oils of the peel and Angostura bitters.

At least people who like salmiak and licorice won't try to convince anyone that it isn't revolting.

It definitely is. Given it's popularity in northern Europe, I suspect that tolerance for it is partly genetic.
It's delightfully revolting. But then I'm 1/4 Finnish.

Now the xylitol salmiakki, that's truly nasty. Don't eat that stuff. (Xylitol is a sugar substitute derived from birch bark, also a Finnish thing. Oi, Finland, what's up with all that?)

I looked for a good youtube "salmiakki challenge" video but it was very hit or miss. Only one genuine spit-take out of the whole lot.
I'm all American, but my partner (Westphalian German) and I love it. My first encounter with it was when I went to a conference in Helsinki. Salmiakki is great on its own, but it's also good in chocolate and ice cream.

People talk about fun a whole lot, and it should be a consideration, absolutely. But the Rule of Cool should also be followed by the Rule of Fairness. A game should strive to be fair to all the players at the table.

*Note, however, that things like balance being fun to someone never matters, period. Only some things are judged by the "someone, somewhere can find it fun" standard, while others are judged by a "it must be universally fun for everyone or it's bad" standard. As a rule, traditional options or mechanics are evaluated by the first standard. Novel/modern options or mechanics are evaluated by the second.

Maple syrup is so good in whiskey cocktails!

My own preference is to use maple syrup for my Old Fashioned's. I find that the maple flavor blends well with the bourbon and the orange oils of the peel and Angostura bitters.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I don't think we have candy corn in Australia. At least not that I've come across. What is it's relationship to - say - jelly babies?

You can get candy corn in some places here in Australia. I tried it once a long time ago. I can't recall the details, although I am having a flashback to a consistency like a stale jelly baby. What I do recall is that the stuff is :):):):):):):) vile. Like most American candy.

Redneckomancer

Explorer
I looked for "the atlantic D&D" and found this:

I do not recommend reading it.

But now we can ask what alignment is candy corn?
Lawful Neutral. Like the article you posted in the op says, its fine. Its a candy. I like it ok, some people don't, a lot of people are very invested in performatively hating it (countdown to someone saying its Chaotic Evil). But more importantly, its always here. Every Halloween, it shows up. I somehow have candy corn even when I never actually remember buying it, its just there, in the bowl. Always.
Corn Syrup, colors, and some binder. The fundamentals. It's like a Monad of US candy.

Remove ads