D&D General D&D is like candy corn

Hah! No, it did not.

I remember being a kid and on the rare occasions we'd get Cap'n Crunch (we were a no sugary cereals house for the most part), I would invariably shred the top of my mouth as I wolfed it down while I could.

Did it slash the roof of your mouth?

I suppose I could do that...but that wouldn't be as fun.

I have to wonder why you wouldn't just pour a little corn syrup & vanilla extract into the whiskey, though. But there's more to candy corn than just those two things, of course.

Man, I seem to like all the controversial candies. Salty licorice is tasty.

I suppose I should also cop to liking the taste of Malort as well.

At least people who like salmiak and licorice won't try to convince anyone that it isn't revolting.

It definitely is. Given it's popularity in northern Europe, I suspect that tolerance for it is partly genetic.

And for everyone who can enjoy six minutes of angry swearing and profanity, I very much recommend searching youtube for "Lewis Black Candy Corn". :giggle:

It's delightfully revolting. But then I'm 1/4 Finnish.

Now the xylitol salmiakki, that's truly nasty. Don't eat that stuff. (Xylitol is a sugar substitute derived from birch bark, also a Finnish thing. Oi, Finland, what's up with all that?)

I looked for a good youtube "salmiakki challenge" video but it was very hit or miss. Only one genuine spit-take out of the whole lot.
I haven't had salmiak, but black licorice is wonderful

niklinna

satisfied?
That's the D&D article. It smacks of the old 'Tyranny of Fun' rants.

"People enjoying themselves too much? Not on my watch." ~tears off t-shirt to reveal a drab suit~
I looked for "the atlantic D&D" and found this:

I do not recommend reading it.

But now we can ask what alignment is candy corn?

niklinna

satisfied?
Since I noticed the difference, regarding whisky/whiskey (from wikipedia):

Names and spellings​

Much is made of the word's two spellings: whisky and whiskey.[5][6][7] There are two schools of thought on the issue. One is that the spelling difference is simply a matter of regional language convention for the spelling of a word, indicating that the spelling varies depending on the intended audience or the background or personal preferences of the writer (like the difference between color and colour; or recognize and recognise),[6][7] and the other is that the spelling should depend on the style or origin of the spirit being described. There is general agreement that when quoting the proper name printed on a label, the spelling on the label should not be altered.[6][7]

The spelling whiskey is common in Ireland and the United States, while whisky is used in all other whisky-producing countries.[8] In the US, the usage has not always been consistent. From the late eighteenth century to the mid twentieth century, American writers used both spellings interchangeably until the introduction of newspaper style guides.[9] Since the 1960s, American writers have increasingly used whiskey as the accepted spelling for aged grain spirits made in the US and whisky for aged grain spirits made outside the US.[10] However, some prominent American brands, such as George Dickel, Maker's Mark, and Old Forester (all made by different companies), use the whisky spelling on their labels, and the Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, the legal regulations for spirit in the US, also use the whisky spelling throughout.[11]

Within Scotland, the whisky that is made in Scotland is simply called whisky, while outside Scotland (and in the UK regulations that govern its production) it is commonly called Scotch whisky, or simply "Scotch" (especially in North America).

So confusing!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That's the D&D article. It smacks of the old 'Tyranny of Fun' rants.

"People enjoying themselves too much? Not on my watch." ~tears off t-shirt to reveal a drab suit~
I mean, I do actually think there is an issue with "Tyranny of Fun," but it isn't the issue most people think of.

That is, there seem to be two different ways people present the concept, both of which I think are wrong-headed. One camp says, "You put in all these rules and limitations and restrictions in the name of 'fun,' but all you did was kill the game!" Given my posting history, and the fact that my favorite edition of D&D is 4e, I think most people can figure out why I don't consider that argument even remotely effective. The other camp, however, says something to the effect of, "We have all these rules in order to make choices actually matter, to give weight to things, and then you go and obliterate them into freeform whatever-you-like! All you've done is kill the game!" It might surprise some of you that I find that argument off-base as well, though I am much more sympathetic to the idea behind it ("rules should have a purpose," more or less) than I am to the previous ("rules are stupid and shouldn't exist," more or less.)

The actual Tyranny of Fun I see is much deeper and more insidious. It is the holding up of "Fun" as simultaneously justification, panacea, and purpose all in one. "Fun" justifies absolutely anything, no matter what, and so long as something can maybe potentially be fun to someone* then all of its ills are necessarily cured forever. Finally, the one and only purpose of game design is fun, and anything that could ever even potentially move toward anything else is anathema, to be purged with fire and steel.

In other words, the actual Tyranny of Fun is a mindset regarding game design which eliminates all possibility of actually learning, of developing a field in which we study what games are, how they work, what approaches exist, how different tools can be applied effectively vs ineffectively, etc. It is a philosophical push toward the intuitive alone and absolute, toward designers as auteurs whose work cannot ever be limited by anything whatsoever lest you poison its artistic purity, and toward GMs as amateur designers that must (not can, not should, must) rebuild every game every time they play it, to the tune of Carl Sagan's famous line, “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

Fun is important in game design. But we should not allow "make sure your game is fun" to become the end-all, be-all of game design. We should recognize that, for example, delayed gratification is a wonderful thing, even though it means having less fun some of the time. We should recognize that games can have purposes other than "have fun," such as "seek meaning," "tell stories," "display creativity," or "achieve understanding." We should embrace the idea that, while we pursue fun, there can be different methods of getting there, and even if we are given certain mechanics or principles that must be adhered to (such as "XP=GP," "combat as war" as much as I hate the phrase, "balance," or "fail forward," or whatever), there are better and worse ways of implementing those goals or ideas or mechanics so that we get to the end result. That there can be qualitative and quantitative differences in the kind of experience produced, and that we can in fact perform tests, iterating on the products of our labor until they really do consistently perform as expected.

*Note, however, that things like balance being fun to someone never matters, period. Only some things are judged by the "someone, somewhere can find it fun" standard, while others are judged by a "it must be universally fun for everyone or it's bad" standard. As a rule, traditional options or mechanics are evaluated by the first standard. Novel/modern options or mechanics are evaluated by the second.

Remove ads