• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Lore Changes: Multiversal Focus & Fey Goblins of Prehistory

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse. The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings. Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse.
  • The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings.
  • Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods they had before Maglubiyet. Prior to Magulbiyet unifying them, goblinoids were folk of the feywild in keeping with 'real-world' folklore.
  • Changelings aren't just Eberron, but they've been everywhere -- you just don't necessarily know it. Their origin is also in the realm of the fey.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are, in fact, people for whom a trip to Starbucks or a proper sit-down restaurant, or buying anything from McDonald's that isn't on the dollar menu, are all expensive enough that they have to be rare, special treats, assuming that they do them at all.

Is it really so hard to imagine that such people might already be reluctant to drop $50 on a RPG book? And that asking them to double their investment to get the same value in 2024 might make the prospect even less appealing?
WotC has already resisted inflation on their book prices for 8 years: word is thst the price will increase soon, as is natural.

If an occasional ~$50 purchase is too much, then someone shouldn't buy a D&D book. But then, the main rules are also free and it is very affordable if 4-5 split the cost.

JEB

Legend
If an occasional ~$50 purchase is too much, then someone shouldn't buy a D&D book.
And that someone probably won't. Especially if they now have to buy at least two $50 books to get the same perceived play value that one $50 book provided in 2014. However, I'm reasonably sure Wizards doesn't want fewer people to think their books are worth buying.

Then they shouldn't drink Stsebucks, which is a luxury rather than a necessity.
Yes, that would follow from not being able to afford Starbucks daily, or at all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And that someone probably won't. Especially if they now have to buy at least two $50 books to get the same perceived play value that one $50 book provided in 2014. However, I'm reasonably sure Wizards doesn't want fewer people to think their books are worth buying.

Yes, that would follow from not being able to afford Starbucks daily, or at all.
I am sure that WotC wants as many people as possible to be able to play, whi h is why they have so much available for free. But that some people in the world can't currently afford the books isn't an argument that they shouldn't increase the price to keep up with increasing costs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As some context, the books have been priced at $49.99 since 2014. $49.99 in 2014 money is $58.87 in 2021 money. WotC margin has been eaten away by inflation, and is honestly much worse after the late 2021 and current inflation.

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
But that some people in the world can't currently afford the books isn't an argument that they shouldn't increase the price to keep up with increasing costs.
That's an interesting theory on why they'd be splitting lore they used to provide in the core rulebooks into separate, additional $50 purchases.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's an interesting theory on why they'd be splitting lore they used to provide in the core rulebooks into separate, additional $50 purchases.
Ah, sorry, lost the plot there. There is no reason to panic at this point about what they may or may not include in 2024 in terms of fluff. No doblubt they will make a decision based on what people are responding to, at any rate.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
First off, it's not binary buy/don't buy based on that, and obviously I didn't' suggest it was - that's solely on you, the whole "STOP" narrative, so you might want to consider if you're putting words into people's mouths - because right now? You are. I know it's probably not intentional, but I think it's good to let people know (I find it helpful when I'm doing it, to be told).

You even end with a false question:

Who the said it would? Oh that's right, YOU did, not me! Come on mate. You've set up a whole argument I wasn't even having. I'm not actually offended if it seems like, I'm just amused and slightly vexed! :)
Of course you didn't say those things. That's why I specifically said right at the top "Assuming for the sake of argument that..." and then gave some things that went along with what you had just suggested to @AcererakTriple6. You said to him (as I had in my quote) "What Sanderson did with the plot in Oathbringer would be equivalent to say, a future, say, Dragonlance setting book deciding to devote like an entire chapter to spelljammers/Krynnspace and/or portals/planescape-y stuff, or worse, WotC deciding all future setting books had to have such a chapter."

You did not mention whether you were intending to buy a Dragonlance setting book, nor did you state one way or another what you would do if that speculative book actually did what Sanderson did with the plot of Oathbreaker. But that's why I asked. I was asking what you would do if what I had suggested (which I got from inferring things from your comments) to see just how much not liking them would actually impact your actions.

Remove ads

Remove ads