D&D 5E D&D Lore Changes: Multiversal Focus & Fey Goblins of Prehistory

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse. The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings. Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse.
  • The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings.
  • Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods they had before Maglubiyet. Prior to Magulbiyet unifying them, goblinoids were folk of the feywild in keeping with 'real-world' folklore.
  • Changelings aren't just Eberron, but they've been everywhere -- you just don't necessarily know it. Their origin is also in the realm of the fey.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
a multiverse campaign/adventure path that takes you to very different worlds seems like fun.
I'm writing one. The world is being eaten by something, the gods are fighting it and delaying the world's end, while agents go thru unstable gates to find a new world. Some nations are helping each other, some are not. Who has found a new world? Can the heroes find one, and if they can, can they get people the before the world ends? I mean, this might also be a novel. What I like about this is you can create weird one shot world's.

Laurefindel

Legend
So many retroactively Fey races! The devs must really love the Feywild. Given the multiplanar bent they're pursuing, you'd think they would want to use for their one origin point for their lore retcons.
The Feywild allows for an extra planar origin that isn’t in the outer planes (i.e. the morally-aligned domains of the gods) or the inner planes (with strong elemental overtones). It’s also morally neutral with a positive or at least innocent feel, unlike its shadowfell counterparts that has a more sinister overtone.

it’s a safe design ground for WotC

Scribe

Legend
The Feywild allows for an extra planar origin that isn’t in the outer planes (i.e. the morally-aligned domains of the gods) or the inner planes (with strong elemental overtones). It’s also morally neutral with a positive or at least innocent feel, unlike its shadowfell counterparts that has a more sinister overtone.

it’s a safe design ground for WotC
And it has those 'old world' roots.

Thinking on this further.

1. I am curious how Gods will be handled.
2. I'm curious how Planes will be handled.
3. I'm probably not interested in a multiverse focus, at all.

HammerMan

Legend
I'm writing one. The world is being eaten by something, the gods are fighting it and delaying the world's end, while agents go thru unstable gates to find a new world. Some nations are helping each other, some are not. Who has found a new world? Can the heroes find one, and if they can, can they get people the before the world ends? I mean, this might also be a novel. What I like about this is you can create weird one shot world's.
sounds cool

Oofta

Legend
I'm glad that they seem to be moving away from "everything is FR". It's about time, it will be interesting to see how they introduce realm hopping.

As far as goblins, they've always had a fey origin in my campaign and my PCs have met them in my version of the feywild. Those goblins are tricksters and sneaky, like many of the fey not really good or evil. Long ago some proto-goblins came to the mortal realm and some followed a dark path of tricksters and their practical jokes became cruel when they decided to follow Maglubiyet. Others followed Garl Glittergold and followed their goodly light hearted nature and became gnomes. Both races are frequently inventors and craftsmen of sometimes overly complex inventions.

In any case I'll be interested to see what comes next. I'm sure I'll like some of it and dislike some as always.

Remove ads

Remove ads