• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D - Mediaval Social, Political & Economical Structure.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Often, we break our heads over how economy works in the game... How much money a commoner makes... How much money a landowner makes ...and how does this all work? Economically? Politically? Socially?

Before digging into the rule books for explanations (that we won't find), I think it's better if we back up a little and try to look at the bigger picture first.

First we we have to take a look at the "real" Mediaeval Ages, ...before figuring out the ones we make up for our games.

Hope this helps!:)

pemerton

Legend
Understanding the political and social character of pre-modern societies is not easy, in my experience.

For most RPGing purposes, I think you can go a long way by focusing on a few broadbrush contrasts, rather than minutiae.

What characterises modernity? - inquiry, social mobility, a very high importance placed on (at least formal) freedom, voluntary transactions as integral to economic and social life.

So to get a pre-modern feel, just reverse all this - intellectual conservatism, status as the predominant determinant of social role, duty far more important than choice.

Also, every time a social situation would be resolved by an administrative arrangement in the modern state - police, prisons, taxation authorities, ambulances, standing armies etc - assume that in your mediaeval world it has to be solved by the local and private exercise of power: local courts, militia rather than armies, personal enforcement of legal claims rather than police, etc, etc.

No doubt there's a high degree of stereotype and simplification in the general picture that this paints, but for gaming purposes I think it's the easiest way to proceed that is also likely to produce results that are experienced by the players in the course of play.

I think when you are a game master, your goal is to find research material that is useful for the game (rather than accurate or current). Back in college I majored in history and the books that stuck around as most useful to running a D&D game were microhistories and the annales school.

I would strongly recommend the following books because of their utility:

The Cheese and the Worms (Ginzburg)
A History of Civilization Fernand Braudel
The Wheels of Commerce Fernand Braudel
The Bewitching of Ann Gunther (Sharpe)
Inheriting Power (Levi)

S'mon

Legend
Understanding the political and social character of pre-modern societies is not easy, in my experience.

Heck, I think Americans have trouble understanding the political and social character of Britain, and vice versa. And neither of us has a hope of understanding Italy. And I doubt Italians understand Russia. And those are all 'modern' societies. Taking the things you characterised as 'modernity', several are much less true of Britain than of the USA, and much less true of Germany than of Britain, and much less true of Italy than of Germany, and so on down the line.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Good topic for a thread, Jimlock! I would XP you if I had not done so too recently.

I point people to The Godfather to help them understand pre-modern politics. There you have it all -- an individual gaining power by offering protection to others from a position of strength; obligations that flow in both directions; positioning to gain and maintain power; warfare to change the hands of power; vassalage. What a great film!

RC

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I think one of the issues in understanding the society/economy of D&D is while it's often described overtly as 'medieval' it's really more 'Renaissance' in character. Secondly, despite that 'cultural' overlay on 'aesthetics' the real economy of the game, as it affects the players most directly, is much more Old West, as in the American Wild West.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
A lot of modern historians are questioning the validity of feudalism as a viable economic and political structure, and it tends to become over simplified in our history books. And, "true" feudalism typically is only found in certain parts of western europe in a very short period of time historically, for about 100 years.

RC made a good point about the godfather, and pemberton also amde a lot of sense with suggesting broad strokes as opposed to specific detail. But, I consider life to be in the details, and the cultural / social aspects of that society is often expressed in the mundane every day interactions between the different people therein.

There are many other cultures that "work" in D&D settings, as well as a lot of fantasy or mythological elements that can be folded in and hybridized. For example, nomadic medieval societies such as the Native Americans or the Huns / Mongols are very interesting cultures that rely on a very different social and economic structure than say the Roman Empire.

Also, other cultures that believe in reincarnation and karma have entirely different elements of "kindness" and philanthropy that would be deemed wasteful in western class-based societies. Cultures ruled by magic, such as the shamanistic cultures of Africa and South America are also very intriguing, and intensely different than our classic views of medieval europe.

When I am creating a game setting, I tend to combine many of the elements that I find interesting in different territories: highly civilized near-modern city-states modeled after Roman cities; feudal castles with a lord and knights against the dangerous frontier; theocratic societies that have absolute faith in some supreme power; and principled nomadic peoples who wander the fertile plains following the large herds of beasts.

I think that this texture and variance is what makes a world truly "believable," as even within a small area such as Europe, there are abundant differences. That's not even adding the fantasy elements!

So, I guess my whole point is that it is more an exercise in creativity rather than historical observance, as the records are sparse and the details vague. Broad brushstrokes with some unique (or borrowed) details with interesting flair makes for an interesting painting of a world.

Remove ads