D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie should follow the Deadpool model

So, Deadpool provided the perfect template for a D&D movie.

There should be a deadly serious underlying plot, ideally involving a PC party oriented heist with dungeon crawling elements, but the film should be an over the top action comedy, with hyper-violence played both straight in terms of cool action scenes that make sense within the context of the world, but mixed with absurd comedic moments that unapologetically break the 4th wall.

Although the world itself should be played straight, the player characters and some of the villains should totally break the 4th wall with all sorts of in-jokes, characters arguing with an off camera (and unheard DM), scene rewinds to simulate cocked dice, or long drawn out planning montages where the PCs describe everything they are about to do before they do it, and then revise the plan while arguing with each other. :)

And all the characters should recite pop-culture movie references, speak frequently to off-camera players and a DM, while the NPC's are totally oblivious and played straight. Never show the off-camera players, but have the characters occasionally speak in the third person as if being played by someone else off camera.

Do fun things like have a PC die, but then the exact same actor comes in playing a different character that randomly joins the party but is now a different class or something but otherwise looks and acts the same. Joke about their contrived backstory, joke about the character having player knowledge they couldn't realistically have, etc.

Basically it should be like a real session of D&D. :)

But so over the top with cool action and fun humour that even non-gamers not versed in D&D tropes will have a great time and enjoy it for how ridiculous it is.
A parody of DnD tropes would be hilarious, but only appeal to people familiar with the game.

You see them in Fanzines like OotS and so forth.

I reckon they'll try and go with a GoT vibe instead for greater appeal, which is unfortunate.

Oh geez I kinda hate you :D

I get so frustrated when I am trying to have a serious in game moment, when 3 of my 4 players are totally buying into, then player 4 makes a snarky pop culture reference that takes the tone from 'grim and serious' to 'lol' in a second flat!
I get so frustrated when I set up an elaborate pop culture reference, and one of my players jumps in before me.

As happened with "we can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

Shiroiken

Legend
They kinda tried that with the first D&D movie and did a crap job of it. Using the Deadpool model they could do it a bit better, but not only was this done in The Gamers, it would really only appeal to those who've already played. The goal of the movie (besides being a financial success) is also supposed to draw more people to the game.

Raith5

Adventurer
Yes, exactly like in the last Deadpool when the rookie take in action!
First trap one character has a leg severed.
First monster, one character get his head smash out.
One veteran that try to keep everyone alive. It could make a good movie!

Then to keep it real they should have a 15 minute conversation on whether to take a long or short rest.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
And lose all the toy merchandising $$? Nah, it'll be more Guardians of the Galaxy than Deadpool.
I think you're probably right, but it definitely needs the humor.

I think the OP's approach could work, though I strongly doubt they'd go hyper-violent. WotC's going to want the movie (and by extension the game) to feel kid-appropriate.

Fourth wall breaking and references to the players, DM and metagame would absolutely make it more of a D&D movie, and less a generic fantasy movie using D&D IP.

Remove ads