D&D 5E D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros Previews!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.14.05 AM.png

Last edited:

I feel your pain, but...people are imperfect. If you wish to de-platform her for her views and/or actions, then you enact the kind of behavior that you have a problem with in her. One of the unforrtunate outcomes of the times has been the fusion of art/creativity and socio-politics. I'd like to see us tease them apart a bit. The more we judge others and their views, and then transpose that onto their creativity, the more limited our pool of enjoyment becomes. Not to say that there isn't a line, but that it seems to be getting narrower and narrower.

Plenty of artists throughout history have had reprehensible views and habits according to this or that contemporary perspective (meaning, "different than mine"). Perhaps if we, in the context of the art, focus on the art itself, then we won't be so bothered by the other stuff? More specifically, maybe we can fit a wide range of ideologies and perspectives within the broad umbrella of rpg fandom?

Or to put it more simply: not only don't feed the troll, don't be bothered by it. Just enjoy the book, which looks really good.
That is very true.

I don't want to de-platform someone and I really believe in second chances and forgiveness after making mistakes. And as a librarian, I believe in freedom to read and not censoring opposing viewpoints.

But this isn't an opposing view but a behaviour. And I also believe actions have consequences and if someone is a colossal naughty word and bully, they should face some repercussions. And forgiveness only applies if you change your behaviour. And I don't like supporting people's work financially when I know they're an naughty word.

But it's all moot as I wasn't planning on getting the book anyway...

So... supernatural gifts. Looks like they might be equal to a feat. So Theros characters might embrace the long term house rule of starting with a feat. Or other supernatural gift roughly equal to a feat...
That makes them easier to balance at least...

Mercurius

Legend
That is very true.

I don't want to de-platform someone and I really believe in second chances and forgiveness after making mistakes. And as a librarian, I believe in freedom to read and not censoring opposing viewpoints.

But this isn't an opposing view but a behaviour. And I also believe actions have consequences and if someone is a colossal naughty word and bully, they should face some repercussions. And forgiveness only applies if you change your behaviour. And I don't like supporting people's work financially when I know they're an naughty word.

But it's all moot as I wasn't planning on getting the book anyway...

I can respect all of that, and good point about view vs. behavior.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
normally don’t look at credits but I did look for Emi Tanji who usually does layout and graphic design. She’s not mentioned on this one so I wonder what book she is working?

When a setting inspired in Sumerian/Mesopotamian/pre-Islamic Middle-East?

* Do you really think horns can be practical as natural weapon for minotaurs or another bipedal creature?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Sure, just think of the Minotaur like a football running back that lowers head to crash through the defense, just with horns on the helmet.

I like to see supernatural gifts.
What I find interesting is, that in a recent thread someone asked which new thing Theros might bring to the table... and then examples from other books were listed...
... and I think some of those things (factions/downtime activities) are slight variations of those originally in the DMG.
Supernatural gifts might well be just a variation of "blessings" and "epic boons". And I still like it how Wizards takes one of the DMG options and brings it into spotlight.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases