• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Sacrosanct

Legend
I guess I am too? At least insofar that if it isn't, i have no interest whatsoever. I am sort of played out on 5E, which I finally realize after comitting to run a campaign. Ugh.
I think it's important to have at least 2 rpgs that you like, or better yet, 2 editions of D&D. It really helps break up the burnout of a particular edition. Last Saturday, after 2 years of 5e pretty much exclusively, I started Night Below (a 2e original campaign) using Chromatic Dungeons. It's a nice refresher of a different system, and I'm sure when the campaign is done, I'll be more receptive to going back to 5e.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well, "newer" or "revised" or whatever term you want to use. I think it's clear, especially based on what's been released over the past couple years, that they are taking a clear direction towards the younger generations and us grognards aren't going to be considered in design refinements. I'm not saying that bitterly, as a grog myself. That's just good business sense, and I certainly don't have some weird sense of entitlement just because I was there 45 years ago that the game should still cater to my preferences.
I really wish they would just make it a proper new edition. This half measure philosophy where you change your design philosophy but pretend you haven't is weak sauce and disingenuous.

Micah Sweet

I doubt it is the first. I doubt they will name it the second. I am hopeing for the third
Me too. That way I can happily ignore it, without having to parse all the 5e talk from the 5e revised (but not 6e) talk. This new direction should be an actual new direction, so the 5e as originally intended can join the ranks of the former editions.

Micah Sweet

I think it's important to have at least 2 rpgs that you like, or better yet, 2 editions of D&D. It really helps break up the burnout of a particular edition. Last Saturday, after 2 years of 5e pretty much exclusively, I started Night Below (a 2e original campaign) using Chromatic Dungeons. It's a nice refresher of a different system, and I'm sure when the campaign is done, I'll be more receptive to going back to 5e.
I'm happy to hear you were able to find enough players willing to play two different editions of the game. I envy your player base.

Micah Sweet

It’s entirely possible that they like most of what is there. It’s entirely possible that they just want to make changes that they think are important and yet not a different game.
The designers of 2e liked most of what was there too. It was still 2e, and not 1e. This fuzzy grey area they insist on creating rankles me.

darjr

I crit!
The designers of 2e liked most of what was there too. It was still 2e, and not 1e. This fuzzy grey area they insist on creating rankles me.
Actually I dint think they did. A lot of the 2e dialog was about them working to remain backward compatible in spite of their actual preferences.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Actually I dint think they did. A lot of the 2e dialog was about them working to remain backward compatible in spite of their actual preferences.
Yep. I think it was Steve Winter (or Skip Williams, can't recall) who said, "Of course we thought of ascending AC, and preferred it. But we had to keep it compatible because we wanted people to keep using their existing stuff."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads