D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

teitan

Legend
someone pointed out that they are the modern mythology and one of the inspirations that D&D has and will draw on.

once again, you will see 'only' multi million dollar movies then you will see billion dollar ones... just this Wednesday we MIGHT have seen what the new connective tissue is on the MCU (not spoiling about Ms Marvel), but I expect we will see MCU movies well past the 2024 5.5/6/anniversary edition books... and batman and superman movies will still be hot come 7e.
No someone said 5e was influenced by the MCU with all the powers that characters get and I was pointing out that it wasn’t because the MCU was still considered a gamble when the playtest started in 2012. The powers were because they wanted to get away from golf bag of weapons as part of the economy of the game, not because superheroes were cool.

No someone said 5e was influenced by the MCU with all the powers that characters get and I was pointing out that it wasn’t because the MCU was still considered a gamble when the playtest started in 2012. The powers were because they wanted to get away from golf bag of weapons as part of the economy of the game, not because superheroes were cool.
I disagree with your assessment

teitan

Legend
I think only now are we truly getting superhero fatigue as the lack of direction is hurting them at marvel and everyone else seems to struggle to do as well.
I don’t think Marvel lacks direction at all. People are expecting all the movies to tie together like they did before and culminate in an Avengers movie. They aren’t and Feige said they wouldn’t when Endgame came out. But they do tie together in the exact same way and are building to something. It’s very obvious and just like before some stand alone. Not every Marvel movie tied into the bigger plot. The difference is we have a lot more content with the TV series also being in play and we have four threads weaving. We have some sort of Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts team building with Yelena, USAgent and Sharon plus Elaine from Seinfeld, we have Kang coming from the end of Loki and Ant-man, we have the incursion threat seen in Shang Chi, Dr. Strange and the upcoming Wong series and we have the X-Men. I have a feeling the first big build though is going to be Galactus as pay off for the Celestials in Eternals with Fantastic Four coming soon and all of this will lead into Secret Wars after an Illuminati film as the next “Avengers” set up. They’ll bring it together to have Kang blow it apart.

Then where Mind Trick, Force Lightning, High Ground, and reflecting mages spells back at them?
anything the fighter fills has to be no frills so it doesn't step on other fighter subclasses...

having said that the playtest psi knight I thought would make a great idea if you used the psi die (going up and down) with battle master maneuvers and giving a second subclass was almost intresting

teitan

Legend
I disagree with your assessment
That’s cool, my comments are backed by what they were saying at the time and feedback they got from the playtest but your comments are jaded speculation.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Well, yes, the 5E Monk is a Half-Caster, and Ki abilities are just Spells. Surfacing that by transferring Ki back into Spell slots would be good by de-Orientalizong yhe Class, and making the design more transparent.

I don't see ki being any more magic spells than a barbarian's rage. Yes, it's supernatural, but it's not casting a spell in the sense that D&D defines it.

All moot of course because WOTC isn't going to ask our opinion on what the monk should be called any time soon. :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Personally, I don't know what they will do with ranger.

WOTC won't have an excuse to not fix the class.

• Ranger was missing a 1st level combat feature.
    • However instead of adding a combat feature, WotC changed 2 exploration features into one combat feature and one combat/exploration feature.
  • Primeval Sweetness does not work.
    • Primal awareness is just a blatant patch on a ranger's low spell known
  • Ranger is still missing many rangery spells. Sand spells. Swamp spells. Tundra spells
  • Lands stride is not a Tier 2 feature
  • Hide in Plain Sight is wonky.
    • Nature's Veil is just a lame "just make it a spell" fix.
  • For Slayer?
  • Hunter subclass features feel more like base class features (I'm biased because I proposed the original hunter features before the playtest on the old WOTC forums).

Staffan

Legend
  • Ranger is still missing many rangery spells. Sand spells. Swamp spells. Tundra spells
They should swap paladin and ranger casting. Let rangers prepare spells, allowing them to adjust to different situations and terrain types (and maybe allow them to swap spells on a short rest once per day, so they can adapt mid-day). Paladins on the other hand could have spells known, representing their holy gifts (plus, most of their spells are just going to be smites anyway).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't see ki being any more magic spells than a barbarian's rage. Yes, it's supernatural, but it's not casting a spell in the sense that D&D defines it.

All moot of course because WOTC isn't going to ask our opinion on what the monk should be called any time soon. :)
Spells insofar as they use Spell points, and are mathematically laid out as Spells (that's why the Elemental Monk works the way thst it does: it has the same Spell slot capacity as a Paladin, Ranger, or Artificer).

Remove ads

Remove ads