D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Cruentus

Adventurer
What I would like to see but don't expect:
--Some attempt to streamline combat so it's not so grindingly long sometimes. No idea how you do this without radical changes. I think they are aware of this problem but not sure if they'll take this up. It might be that characters and monsters could simply be more lethal, thus shortening combat.
Hmm...maybe...I don't know...scale back the HP bloat? Nah, that'd never work! 🤷‍♂️ Heavens knows Barbarians NEED 20d12 HP + CON; and Ancient dragons need 546 HP to be relevant! (I had to actually go back and check, silly me, I put 457. I was waaaaay off. o_O)

I have no idea how ancient reds survived in Ad&d. A measley 88hp, MAX....

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I am wondering how popular those items actually ARE. There was a LOT of noise from a minority of individuals on forums, but I don't think a lot of research has been done to actually SEE how popular those items are.
There was surveys for the UA, and a buch fo the UA going back to races they later brought into Witchlight and Strixhaven had it. They have been surveying on many of those things for quite some time.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Heh, this just made me think:
"Fifty years. Fifth edition. That's ten years per edition!"

I guess that's one of those "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" -type of observations. 😅
No, just math being tricky again. We had a Zero edition in there (OD&D), so technically 5th edition is actually 6th edition ;) (not counting Basic).

Or...since it hasn't been called "Advanced", I guess that means there was only 1e and 2e, and 3, 4, and 5e are actually 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of just Dungeons and Dragons (with OD&D being the only other game titled that way).

So...that means this edition is truly 4th edition :D

Sacrosanct

Legend
I have no idea how ancient reds survived in Ad&d. A measley 88hp, MAX....
Well...two things. I think you were being sarcastic, but for those who didn't know:

1. Dragons in 1e were meant to be fought. Kinda one of the main points of the game. And since most PCs only went to name level or shortly higher, it made sense. A level 4 fighter was called a "hero" after all, and 9th level was considered high level)

2. 88 hp is a lot in 1e. Especially considering that meant their breath weapon was 88 points of damage. 3 times a day. A 10th level fighter only had an average of 75ish hit points if you give them a Con bonus, and a 10th level Magic user only had 25 hit points. Pretty much every class but a fighter would die in that hit, some classes dead even if they made their save.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Which feat you can pick could depend on background.

I suspect Lineage would allows choice of any feat asRace has more mechanical meat.

Background has less and thus would limitedto feats like Skilled, Tough,, and other specially tailor feats.

5e was wildly successful, so if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Successful doesn't mean perfect.

5e has a few widely accepted issues and a few common compliants that were not taken care of due to a no major errata policy.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don’t think Race or Lineage will give a feat. I expect it to be a Background thing.
Custom Lineage Already gives you a feat.

What they might do is something like @Henadic Theologian suggested is do different types of Custom lineages.

Humanoid Lineage
Feyblood Lineage
Reborn Lineage
Constructed Lineage
Draconic Lineage

Each with their own Variable Traits Ability Score Increase rules.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads