D&D 5E D&D Next info from PAX Prime + answering questions

slobster

Hero
First of all, I said otherwise equivalent, not identical. 2d6+2 damage with a 75% chance to hit and 2d12+5 with a 50% chance to hit are equivalent (9 average damage per attack) but not identical.

Second, I pulled those number out of nowhere. They were an attempt to loosely illustrate the concept, but I have a better example that can show you the designers though processes. Look at the Skeleton vs the Zombie in the playtest bestiary. The Skeleton and the Zombie are both viable level 2 monsters, but the Skeleton is a bit more powerful and therefore worth 30 extra xp.

Sorry, I didn't mean to nitpick at your precise wording. I know that you were speaking in randomly chosen examples, I was just using simplified examples in response to make my point. I think it still stands. It's impossibly complicated to adjust xp values based on minor differences, and rather insignificant even if executed properly. I don't see it as being worth the effort.

My griping about monsters that are identical except for tiny differences is a different can of worms, like I said. I may have griped about that as an unnecessary aside.

May I respectfully suggest that the minutiae of experience in Next isn't on-topic for the thread?

Speaking of said topic: Cybit, do you have any information on specialties? I'm curious what happens after level 9, do we pick another one or what?

I'm also very curious as to how switching out feats is going to work - are 3rd level feats expected to stay at 3rd level, or can you switch them to 1st or 6th with no harm done?

Finally, I'd really like to know about preparing spells in higher slots.

I realize these questions may be too specific for the conversations you had, but anything you can offer would be of interest.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=16760]The Shadow[/MENTION]

Thank you for the Feat question. This is the one I have asked in several places too.

Are feats actually based on level at all, or was that just so we could level up easily in the playtest? I am hoping you can actually switch them around/choose from several feats that fit the specialty.

triqui

Adventurer
That still doesn't make sense--if orcs and hobgoblins are the same, but orcs are way stronger, then why are they both level 5?

For example, because there are other mechanics related to level that make sense as lvl 5. Making orcs higher level also mean they have higher BAB, higher Save Throws, access to higher level spells, higher number of attacks in a full round, or whatever mechanics the system is going to use. It's perfectly fine for me that the designers might want to have an orc that has more hit points than, say, an Hobgoblin, although he is not better fighting, or saving from illusions, or able to cast higher level spells. This is specially useful to design "solo" kind of monsters. A monster that is supposed to fight a full group of a given level. Making him much higher levels, have undesired consequences (he has too high armor, or saving throws, or damage, when you are actually looking only for extra hp and a few perks to threat the whole group)

It also gives you granularity. Let's take a monster, for example, a Skeleton. It has X defense, Y damage, and sustain Z hit points. That makes him a lvl 2 monster. Now let's imagine a second monster, for example a *blazing skeleton*. It's like the other one, but has Y+1 damage, and you damage yourself when you grapple it. It's not much stronger than a regular skeleton, it certainly does not deserve a higher challenge rating. But it is slightly harder than a regular skellie, so he might be worth 50 extra XP or whatever.

Cybit

First Post
Early on they talked about trying to thoroughly address the "three pillars" of combat, exploration and role playing. Lately they haven't referred as much to the three pillars - is that still an important part of their design philosophy? Anything new they mentioned specifically targeting exploration or role play (other than narrative-embedded classes)?

It is the key driving philosophy still (they reiterated this); right now they're just trying to get the core mechanics for the three pillars down first (the base d20 system as it is) before nailing down any of the pillars. For instance, the reason they gave the rogue the ability to take 10 no matter what is so that a rogue can actually split off and explore without running the risk of being hosed.

I think the idea is that by giving everything a grounding in some form of narrative, (and by the way, narrative does not mean universe specific lore, but instead just some way to explain, in the world, how something works / fits) that the roleplaying will be more organic.

Cybit

First Post
Thanks for the details.

Did they give any examples of something that could be a prestige class as opposed to specialty/background or class? I guess it would be anything that would be too much for specialties/backgrounds and too little for classes. Or maybe it'll be were they put the really weird ideas like Nar Demon Binder or Celebrant of Sharess (which is a divine class that casts arcane magic instead of divine amoung other oddities like raging like a barbarian, a cat familiar, and bard like magic).

Also did they give any other examples of what,you might get from cleric domains then war and sun?

Not yet, the only comment they made about prestige classes was in context of multiclassing, and while they want to keep it similar to 3.5, they don't want cherry picking of classes, or making the level useless to a higher level character -- ergo, they design "multi-class wizard" different than "straight wizard". Also, a lot of prestige classes might find themselves wrapped up in the theme / specialty / feat / etcs.

I think this is something they've only really started thinking about, if at all. The answers I got about MC / Prestige Classes were very "off the cuff" answers in general, so they are quite likely to change.

One of the things I loved about the panels was their willingness to give off the cuff answers, knowing full well that they might change their minds later on, but it gave great insight into their thought process on how they were working on the game.

As for domains, Nature was one they mentioned (when I asked about druids). Not much more than that though as it is, I think they are focusing on the thief this round.

Last edited:

Cybit

First Post
@Cybit - a question for you:

In a very broad sense did you get any idea about how much of 5e is going to be part of the core framework (i.e. probably difficult to tinker with) and how much is going to be in the optional tack-on modules?

Or to put it another way, will the core framework of 5e be kept simple enough for me to run a rules-light BD&D-style game with it, with all the complexities left as optional?

Lanefan

Yes. Oh, so so yes. I think a couple of the developers run very rules light games, which is why they're keeping that strongly in mind. They repeatedly hammered home that the core of the game is very, very simple, 4 classes, 4 races, very basic rules. Very little will be core beyond what you see in the playtest, I think. There will be lots of those parts changed, but not much more added.

Cybit

First Post
May I respectfully suggest that the minutiae of experience in Next isn't on-topic for the thread?

Speaking of said topic: Cybit, do you have any information on specialties? I'm curious what happens after level 9, do we pick another one or what?

I'm also very curious as to how switching out feats is going to work - are 3rd level feats expected to stay at 3rd level, or can you switch them to 1st or 6th with no harm done?

Finally, I'd really like to know about preparing spells in higher slots.

I realize these questions may be too specific for the conversations you had, but anything you can offer would be of interest.

I don't think they've thought of the game beyond Level 10. Someone mentioned in a different post that L 1-10 would be the core of the game, and 11-20 might basically be like epic levels, but not sure how accurate that is.

They're still heavily tinkering with feats and levels, so don't read too much into that yet. Those levels are more for their own edification then anything else.

Preparing spells in higher slots might be how you increase damage / effectiveness of a given spell. For instance, fireball may not do character level * d6 damage as a 3rd level spell, but instead 5d6 as a third level spell, 7d6 as a 4th level spell, etc etc. I think that's one of the balancing acts they want to strike. That comes from reading between the lines though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases