• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Still Satanic? "So my mom threw away all my D&D books..."

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I think it's about time we brought "Satanic" back to D&D.

Imagine a high school hallway full of loud, boisterous kids. In walks a herd of nerds with backpacks stocked with D&D books--and the hallway goes silent. The D&D nerds are cool, and they have an edge to them. Cheerleaders no longer want to date jocks; they want to date the Bad Boys, the D&D boys.

pawsplay

Hero
Might one not wonder why if a young vegetarian from birth wants to be immersed in visualization of slaughter and sausages as entertainment? Might one not wonder why if someone raised as a feminist wanted to spend many hours of formative years conforming to sexist stereotypes and objectification?

I just assume that as a matter of course children are frustratingly curious about things you wish they would leave alone, such as copperhead snakes, Barbie dolls, and daddy's R. Crumb art book. In my house, I have successfully waged a war for years against Barney and all his nauseating conformity. On the other hand, my six year old is obsessed with Bakugans. I don't really know what Bakugans are or why they are so cool, so I am going to give him some for Christmas and analyze the results.

Osgood

Hero
It's sad, but utterly unsurprising that this sort of irrational prejudice still goes on. I experienced it very hard in the 80's but I stood my ground... and while there are some relatives I haven't spoken too in 20 years, I know I made the right call.

Interestingly enough, while I have maintained strong faith, I know more than a few of the relatives who cried Satanism back in the day have drifted from the faith.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads