D&D General D&D Trivial Pursuit coming this fall

Ultimate Trivial Pursuit: Dungeons & Dragons coming August 31. Definitely a legit preorder listing, theough the release date should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm looking forward to filling my pie wheel with wedges representing my superior knowledge in the categories of Procedurally Generated Geography; Arcane Science and Unnature; Cheesecake Art and Work-for-hire Literature; Sports and Just Leisure Please; Edition Military History; and Wouldn't Playing D&D Be a Better Form of Entertainment.

Oofta

Legend
That ... sounds like a really niche product. Most people in my games other than the wizard would have a hard time telling the difference between a fire bolt and a fireball. ;)

I wonder how they'll do it. It's one thing if it's about the current edition rules, but that doesn't seem like anywhere near enough. If you start talking about the history of D&D and all of it's lore, it's too much. Then again people spend hundreds of dollars on a plastic dragon that will spend most of it's time on a shelf.

Dire Bare

Legend
That ... sounds like a really niche product. Most people in my games other than the wizard would have a hard time telling the difference between a fire bolt and a fireball. ;)

I wonder how they'll do it. It's one thing if it's about the current edition rules, but that doesn't seem like anywhere near enough. If you start talking about the history of D&D and all of it's lore, it's too much. Then again people spend hundreds of dollars on a plastic dragon that will spend most of it's time on a shelf.
Hasbro (sometimes partnering with USAopoloy) has put out a decent number of Trivial Pursuit titles for specific franchises. Harry Potter, Friends, Golden Girls, SpongeBob, Breaking Bad, Star Wars, Bob's Burgers . . . to mention only a few of the titles easily found currently. There's a long history of this, specialized expansions began in 1997 with Star Wars (the game itself dates back to 1981). D&D is only the latest. These are usually short-lived products, compared to the evergreen core Trivial Pursuit game and main expansions . . . and are aimed at exactly who you think they would be, fans of the specific franchise.

How "trivial" are the questions going to be? Previous TP games have ranged with some sets being filled with softball questions and others with questions so obscure even super-nerds scratch their heads. One of the previous Star Wars TP games blew my mind with some of the esoterica on the question cards. A good TP set on your favorite franchise can make you question your nerd status!

Oofta

Legend
Hasbro (sometimes partnering with USAopoloy) has put out a decent number of Trivial Pursuit titles for specific franchises. Harry Potter, Friends, Golden Girls, SpongeBob, Breaking Bad, Star Wars, Bob's Burgers . . . to mention only a few of the titles easily found currently. There's a long history of this, specialized expansions began in 1997 with Star Wars (the game itself dates back to 1981). D&D is only the latest. These are usually short-lived products, compared to the evergreen core Trivial Pursuit game and main expansions . . . and are aimed at exactly who you think they would be, fans of the specific franchise.

How "trivial" are the questions going to be? Previous TP games have ranged with some sets being filled with softball questions and others with questions so obscure even super-nerds scratch their heads. One of the previous Star Wars TP games blew my mind with some of the esoterica on the question cards. A good TP set on your favorite franchise can make you question your nerd status!
Yeah, I'm probably just not the target audience. While I maintain a healthy nerd balance in my account, I've never cared much about lore outside of the core books. I'm sure they'll sell plenty just for people that buy it for someone they know that plays D&D, it just seems like any game would be dominated by people with specific predilection to being lore grognards.

GreyLord

Legend
What would the categories be?

Forgotten Realms
D&D History
Rules and Books
GreyHawk
Other Settings
Miscellaneous

6 Categories probably...I suppose those would be my guesses right now.

What would the categories be?

Forgotten Realms
D&D History
Rules and Books
GreyHawk
Other Settings
Miscellaneous

6 Categories probably...I suppose those would be my guesses right now.
I do expect there to be some questions based on the official settings, but I would be shocked if they divide up the categories by setting. Maayyybe the Forgotten Realms would have its own category, but I think it's more likely that any setting-specific questions will be peppered throughout other categories, or else there will be a single "setting-specific lore" category that encompasses all the official settings (with the possible exclusion of MTG settings and the almost definite exclusion of Exandria).

These would be my (very tentative) guesses:

History of D&D (real-world stuff and trivia about pre-5e editions)
The Multiverse (setting-lore category)
Monsters
Magic
Adventures (trivia about published 5e modules) or NPCs
Rules (5e rules trivia) or Miscellaneous

On the other hand, I do really like the idea of the six categories being named after the six ability scores.

So, exactly HOW trivial are we talking here? Cos i mean, you could get nasty. Questions about how 3e grapple rules apply in edge-case scenarios? Which of the three or four completely contradictory printed origins of Tristan Hiregaard from ravenloft is the real one? Probabilistic analysis of the first iteration of 4e skill challenges?

Q638: someone on Twitter expresses mild dissatisfaction with a D&D rule. Is the correct response:

A) call them a brainwashed wotc sheep, raise the spectre of Mike Mearls and the doxxing allegations, and tell them that pathfinder does it better?

B) airily proclaim the artistic superiority of diceless theatre-of-the-mind over crass adherence to the battle map?

C) call them a noob for not knowing that this particular issue was addressed by Crawford on his Twitter in July 2016, I mean jeez, learn the rules ffs.

d) ruthlessly point out that this particular rules issue is only a problem because of the godless (and probably ‘woke’) tinkering that lesser talents have done that tainted the original Gygaxian masterpiece?

Last edited:

Remove ads