D&D 5E D&D Without Adding House-Rules/Home-brew

Would you play a 1-10+ Level 5E D&D in a game without added house-rules/home-brew?

• YES

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • NO

Votes: 33 28.0%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So the Goodman Adventures Reincarnated are out because they have classic monsters and items and the like updated to 5e?

Adding adventuring gear not covered in the PHB or other sources is fine, of course, providing it is non-magical.

It feels odd to me that mundane additions are different?

EDIT: You CANNOT use WotC established rules (XGtE) to create homebrew magical items, spells, monsters, etc.
I'd be fine playing in it. But it seems bizarre to me to not let the DM adjust the monsters. I could run under such constraints, but wouldn't out of principle.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Anything. Orcs live in the Feywild. Dragonborn have nonprehensile tails. Tiefling are a kind satyr. Drow are orange. Whatever. These are impromptu narrative changes.
So, basically can you reskin the official aesthetics as long as you don't change the mechanics? That's a good question.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Anything. Orcs live in the Feywild. Dragonborn have nonprehensile tails. Tiefling are a kind satyr. Drow are orange. Whatever. These are impromptu narrative changes.
So, basically can you reskin the official aesthetics as long as you don't change the mechanics? That's a good question.
As long as the mechanics remain, I suppose so since then it is just flavor.

So the Goodman Adventures Reincarnated are out because they have classic monsters and items and the like updated to 5e?
They would be out because they are 3PP, anyway.

It feels odd to me that mundane additions are different?
Just because the published books can't be all inclusive for mundane adventuring gear. Someone will always think of an item of gear that isn't in the books.

Yaarel

He Mage
Ok, as long as I have a free hand to homebrew in the sense of worldbuilding, I can work within mechanical constraints ... as long as the mechanics themselves are flexible enough to handle DM creativity.

Laurefindel

Legend
You can get pretty far just with that, almost to the point of not being recognizable as D&D. I made a homebrew setting where every PHB class, subclass, race, and background were refluffed but all mechanics other than name and description of abilities kept intact verbatim.

Remove ads